• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Graham Rood's book on the Works Racing Tigers

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
If you have any interest in competition Sunbeams or the works Tigers then you need to get Graham Rood's book on the Works Racing Tigers.

It seems to be very good (though light on Alpine stuff :) )

Supposedly Border's book store carries it online which helps keep the cost of shipping down.

Steve

mikephillips

Donation Time
Border's lists it as unavailable. I found it in a couple of other US online bookstores but for $150. Loks like the best bet is to order it from the UK and pay $80 to $100 plus shipping. I've sent a note to the STOC to see if I can get it there, being a non member, since they list they can get it for 39.95 pounds.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I got thsi book after ordering it late last year from the Uk, while im not overly impressed by the quality of graphics, production or printing (i understand its a short run) the actual content of the book is great, and some of the photos are fantastic... pricey but worth it.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Sadly, I think the shipping from the UK was around 30 pounds! So, it isn't cheap on any acount!
I think the STOC can get it shipped to you for a bit cheaper since they are ordering in bulk.

Steve

64beam

Donation Time
Sadly, I think the shipping from the UK was around 30 pounds! So, it isn't cheap on any acount!
I think the STOC can get it shipped to you for a bit cheaper since they are ordering in bulk.

Steve

Hi Steve,

We had the same problem with shipping to Australia. The way we got the postage cost down was to order ten copies for our local club members which drastically reduced the cost. For a single copy, it would have cost around 20 to 30 pounds; in the end we paid approximately 10 pounds. Well worth considering.

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Border's lists it as unavailable. I found it in a couple of other US online bookstores but for $150. Loks like the best bet is to order it from the UK and pay $80 to $100 plus shipping. I've sent a note to the STOC to see if I can get it there, being a non member, since they list they can get it for 39.95 pounds.

Hi Mike,

Definately get it through the STOC.

Regards, Robin.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I had a note back from the STOC this morning, they're sending folks directly to the publisher and not handling orders themselves. So we'll see what the publisher has to say. Certainly if the shipping to the eastern US is that expensive then I'd like to see about getting several of us together otherwise it's about the same price as getting it from a US bookseller figuring the exchange rate.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Here's the latest on this. And despite what it says Barnes and Nobles' website says it's unavailable currently through them. But even with the high shipping when directly ordering you save a few dollars over the local quoted purchase price.

They said,

Subject: The new title "The Works Tigers"

From the publishers of the new book "THE WORKS TIGERS" by Graham Rood

The current price of the book is £39.95 UK pounds. It is very large and heavy. Some 413 pages, and weighs aprox 1.75 KLg's It already received a very good review in the February edition of CLASSIC & SPORTSCAR (Mick Walsh). It is also going to be reviewed in "Octain" at the end of Feruary. Finally it will also be reviewed in "Hemmings Motor News" in April.

All this said, the following information is how to order a copy if required.

The mailing charges obviously vary depending on the location.
The UK mailing charge is approx.............£7.80 European mailing charge is approx..........£16.50 USA mailing charge approx..................£26.50 with insurance Canada mailing charge approx...............£40.30 with insurance, high price due to weight being over 2 KLG's when packed, then goes at parcel weight.
Australia mailing charge approx............£26.50 with insrance.

For US customers, the book is being retailed by Barnes & Noble @ $149.95 depending on the deal.

For ourselves to process an order we will need the following details

Credit Card (Visa/Mastercard number
Expiry date
Last three numbers on the signiture side (sec number) And of course your home address.
Telephone numbers are sometimes an advantage.

Hoping I have not missed anything, you will no doubt let me know if I have.

Best regards

Peter Shimmell...........Fellow Sunbeam enthusiast, owner of Peter Collins
1953/54 Ex Works Rally Car MKV23
Mercian Manuals Ltd
353 Kenilworth Road
Balsall Common
Coventry
CV7 7DL
0044 (0) 1676 533304
0044 (0) 7768 063010
www.mercianmanuals.co.uk

havealucky

Donation Time
Rood Book

The difference bettwen the Rood book and B of N in terms of potential value is large.

The Rood book is published using "print on demand" technology whereas the B of N was a one off. The B of N was produced using printer's plates that apparently no longer exist. On the other hand the publisher of the Rood book can print off copies as the orders come in long into the future thereby limiting their value as a collectible. POD publishing is cheap and the books tend to look like it. My copy has rippled pages due to the hight heat generated in the process.

It's a bit like the cars themselves. Even if a 2008 Tiger were produced the originals would at least retain their value. The tooling the factory used in the '60's is also long gone rendering the original Tiger unique.

The Rood book is a good historical reference but as an ivestment is a poor choice, in my opinion. I'd sya their value will head down rather then up.

Tim

Duke

Donation Time
I just received mine, $93 to my door. A GREAT book, will take me some time to digest.

It is for sale for $800 ;)

agmason

Donation Time
I ordered the book from collectorscarbooks.com last week. It was listed as 39.00 pounds and was shipped to my house in 5 days for $97.00. If you look at the price for the book today, it is 49.00 pounds. Could demand be driving the price up?