• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

good Coil, Bad Coil

Alpine James

Silver Level Sponsor
Tried this a week or so ago but.....

There had been several recent posts regarding ignition coils being a possible cause of poor performance. Is there a way that you can test an ignition coil to see if it is in fully functional condition?

I am also a little confused by the "Ballast Resistor" that keeps getting mentioned in the literature and other places. I don't see it in the wiring diagrams. The coil in my car now states "use with external resistor" on it. I see that the parts suppliers sell them but I am unaware of it's possible location.

The coil I have in my car now works OK I think, but when I change the distributor to one with electronic points, I get no spark at all. The manufacturer of the new distributor says to make sure I have a 12 volt coil with external resistor. The WSM states in one spot that for cold climates (Canada?) the coil is a 7 volt unit. Is there a way to tell if it doesn't say so on the coil?

Thanks in advance for your help and have a happy new year.

James
1961 SII

Pumpkin

Donation Time
coil

James, after a few tries I threw away,,"not " I stored my ballast in a box. I haven't found any differences with out the ballast. I have pertronics and not a problem. If you are having a problem ,, most likely a step was missed with your install.
I started with a ser ll engine generator, now have a 1725 with an alternator. But had a generator to start with.
Some where there is a missed step in application. I thought that the ballast was for the radio,, not a problem due to the static i have on an internal atenana on am stations. We mostly listen to tapes so no question.
I haven't seen a diagram with a ballast installed.. Period.

Have a great new years to all..
Chuck in Clackamas, Oreygun

gordonra

Donation Time
While I am no expert, and someone please correct me if I am incorrect, however it is my understanding that the coils are typically 1.5 ohm and 3.0 ohm impedance. I believe the ballast resistor is supposed to reduce the 12 volt under normal conditions, and is bypassed for starting in colder climates. Bypassing provides a hotter spark, but is only intended for short durations. Running the coil without the resistor on a 1.5 ohm coil would probably reduce it's life expectancy.

Rich