1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

good Coil, Bad Coil

Discussion in '"Stock" Alpine' started by Alpine James, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Alpine James

Alpine James Silver Level Sponsor

Tried this a week or so ago but.....

There had been several recent posts regarding ignition coils being a possible cause of poor performance. Is there a way that you can test an ignition coil to see if it is in fully functional condition?

I am also a little confused by the "Ballast Resistor" that keeps getting mentioned in the literature and other places. I don't see it in the wiring diagrams. The coil in my car now states "use with external resistor" on it. I see that the parts suppliers sell them but I am unaware of it's possible location.

The coil I have in my car now works OK I think, but when I change the distributor to one with electronic points, I get no spark at all. The manufacturer of the new distributor says to make sure I have a 12 volt coil with external resistor. The WSM states in one spot that for cold climates (Canada?) the coil is a 7 volt unit. Is there a way to tell if it doesn't say so on the coil?

Thanks in advance for your help and have a happy new year.

James
    1961 SII

2. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Donation Time

coil

James, after a few tries I threw away,,"not " I stored my ballast in a box. I haven't found any differences with out the ballast. I have pertronics and not a problem. If you are having a problem ,, most likely a step was missed with your install.
    I started with a ser ll engine generator, now have a 1725 with an alternator. But had a generator to start with.
    Some where there is a missed step in application. I thought that the ballast was for the radio,, not a problem due to the static i have on an internal atenana on am stations. We mostly listen to tapes so no question.
    I haven't seen a diagram with a ballast installed.. Period.

Have a great new years to all..
    Chuck in Clackamas, Oreygun

3. gordonra

gordonra Donation Time

While I am no expert, and someone please correct me if I am incorrect, however it is my understanding that the coils are typically 1.5 ohm and 3.0 ohm impedance. I believe the ballast resistor is supposed to reduce the 12 volt under normal conditions, and is bypassed for starting in colder climates. Bypassing provides a hotter spark, but is only intended for short durations. Running the coil without the resistor on a 1.5 ohm coil would probably reduce it's life expectancy.

Rich