• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gob Wobble

skywords

Donation Time
My Series I has developed a bit of a Gob Wobble that can be felt in the shift lever and the clutch pedal above 3200 rpm in forth gear. It does not occur in third gear only in forth. I think this must be drive line related. I put the girl on stands last weekend and found nothing. Tire related? This is what I am hoping, if I get five spare minutes with two nickles I will install new skins. The drive shaft u joints felt tight and no noticeable rumblings in the rear end when spinning by hand. Any thoughts?

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Rick,
Things to maybe check:
Check bellhousing to engine bolts, trans bracket and assembly bolts, etc.
Could it be the bushing at the flywheel going bad?
Various other trans woes...
Or a lost wheel balancing weight?
(You mentioned it's present in fourth, but not third at 3200RPM.
Does it go away if you shift to neutral after feeling it? Ie, road speed related?)
Does it change under load changes (uphill/acceleration or downhill/engine braking)?
Driveshaft balance weights?
Armadillo residue?

Here's hoping you find the least expensive problem...
Ken

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Yes, we all hope that it will not be a costly Gob Wobble.
I had a costly Gob Wobble that turned into a Gobble Smack in the front end of my Firebird, it was very messy:D.

skywords

Donation Time
Rick,
Things to maybe check:
Check bellhousing to engine bolts, trans bracket and assembly bolts, etc.
Could it be the bushing at the flywheel going bad?
Various other trans woes...
Or a lost wheel balancing weight?
(You mentioned it's present in fourth, but not third at 3200RPM.
Does it go away if you shift to neutral after feeling it? Ie, road speed related?)
Does it change under load changes (uphill/acceleration or downhill/engine braking)?
Driveshaft balance weights?
Armadillo residue?

Here's hoping you find the least expensive problem...
Ken

It does not go away when the trans is shifted to neutral it goes away as the car slows say under 55 mph. It is definitely road speed related. It does not seem to matter if the engine is braking or under load. I will check some of the things you mentioned if a set of new tires does not fix it. I am ready for them anyway. Thanks Ken

Andrew sorry for your wobble and thanks for the words of encouragment.

skywords

Donation Time
I assume that is a remove the tranny job? Can it be checked by merely shaking the front fork of the drive shaft? Or is it best to get out the telescoping gauges with a micrometer after removing the drive shaft and measuring?

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

A few years ago, just after a national Sunbeam meeting I was getting a wobble at certain speeds. The first thing I did, was to get the wheels balanced. I was lucky that I did as my tires were about to give up. Turned out they were starting to bulge out in the side walls. It may not be your problem, but well worth checking.

Regards, Robin.

V_Mad

Donation Time
If it is a wobble with no vibration, at speeds of up to 50-60mph, I would suspect wheel/tyre problems. If it is a vibration/noise, occurring at a specific speed band around 60-80 mph, propshafts usually are the usual culprit. If the UJ joints are either very stiff (dried up & rusty inside) or the bearings are word (noticeable play) they need replacing. If you have a non-overdrive car, the propshafts are longer, and more prone to vibration problems. As Rootesrooter says, play in the tailshaft bearing can also cause this.

If all that is OK, you may need to get the balance of the propshaft checked.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
So,

How have you made out with your Gob Wobble, any news?:confused:
Are you running with wires or std. steel rims?

Regards,
Andrew

skywords

Donation Time
Waiting for the weekend and just driving slower. I suspect the drive shaft due to the frequency of the vibration. I am going to order the U joints. Price of fuel makes driving my Ford not an attractive option and it is a bit chilly for the motorcycle at 5am.

I replaced the drive shaft with a used one a few months back but did not install new u joints and the yokes had no grease zerts. Maybe that is the problem.

Andrew, I am running steel wheels and the weights are still there.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Just a note You should be able to get the u-joints at any auto parts store just take the old one with you and match it up with the new ones they are not special. ;)

skywords

Donation Time
It was the front u-joint. Funny it felt OK (I mean tight) while in the car but when I removed the drive shaft it was obvious. The book makes it sound easy to change, they are a bit tricky for me anyway. Thanks to all for the help and words of encouragement. Now to reinstall and go look at a Gazelle with a fellow Sunbeamer.