1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Ginetta G21

Discussion in 'Huskies, Imps, Rapiers, Fastbacks, etc.' started by Kristian Jonsson, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Kristian Jonsson

Kristian Jonsson Donation Time

I understand that Ginetta are a unknown car in US. Quite unknown i Europe too.

They where made with Ford 1600, Ford V6, and Rootes 1725 Alpine or Holbay engines. I think they got a good deal from Rootes and made a lot with Rootes parts.
    The reason for my interest of this model is because it has the Rootes engine, gearbox and back axle. And it looks so nice.
    Then I already have all the necessary parts in my garage!
    Not many has been made officially, about 60, but in reality only 40 I have been told.
    Only one in Sweden. Mine.

https://www.ginetta.org/index.php/history

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    husky drvr likes this.
  2. husky drvr

husky drvr Platinum Level Sponsor

Kristian,

Interesting, looks good. Tell us more. Is this a production car or a kit car? Your description makes it seem it could be either.

How is the suspension set up and with what parts? Your history link says Rootes drive train in '71. I guess that would mean it's the tilted Rapier/Hunter drive train which would agree with your comment about Holbay engines.

Have fun,

3. sunalp

sunalp Platinum Level Sponsor

Great looking car, and with a Rootes connection too! How can I get one?
    Cheers!
    Steve

4. Gordon Holsinger

Gordon Holsinger Diamond Level Sponsor

I have heard of Ginetta cars but I have never seen one in person. They are like the Innochenti thin on the ground and rare!

5. Kristian Jonsson

Before I went for the G21, I did consider the Ginetta G15 with the Imp engine and suspension.

Attached Files:

• g15.jpg
      g15.jpg
      File size:
      182.9 KB
      Views:
  6. alpine_64

alpine_64 Donation Time

Iirc the G21 ran the holbay h120/GLS engine as stock and used the rootes arrow 4 speed with J type OD and the hunter rear end.. Great cars.

The g15 with the imp motor was a very successful race car in period

7. Kristian Jonsson

The G21 model was production car. It has a Triumph Spitfire front suspension and steering racket. Coil springs at the rear with coil-over shock.
    It has a surprisingly stiff frame and fiberglass body. 1818 Lbs. The tilted engine set up