• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ginetta G21

old grumpy

Donation Time
This is my substitute Alpine. It has the same engine, gearbox, overdrive and back axle. (and some other Rootes bits & pieces) Is it allowed on a Alpine meeting??

ginettaG21.jpg

RootesRacer

Donation Time
No, its not allowed at any alpine meetings.

In fact its such a bad car, your should ship it here to me immediately so I can "dispose" of it.:D

old grumpy

Donation Time
You don't fool me! In your heart you think this is the most beautiful car. This is how the Alpine should have been:)

alpine_64

Donation Time
You don't fool me! In your heart you think this is the most beautiful car. This is how the Alpine should have been:)

Is yours a full holbay spec car, i believe lots (well if you can say lots about such a limited build car) were fitted with H120/GLS motors. I rember a great article a few years back about cottage classics in the UK that showed the G21, then since there have been some good comparative tests with them and GT6's, MGBGT's etc..

old grumpy

Donation Time
I am not certain what engine it is. Can be some mixture because is has a nice "urge" over 3500 rpm but feel strangled by the Twin Stromberg setup. Anyway, I am going to replace it with "new" engine. We will see what is inside.

Unfortunately are the good Powermax pistons not to be found anymore. I suppose it's necessary to get some "American" made ones. Is it Venolia? how much can a set be?

alpine_64

Donation Time
I am not certain what engine it is. Can be some mixture because is has a nice "urge" over 3500 rpm but feel strangled by the Twin Stromberg setup. Anyway, I am going to replace it with "new" engine. We will see what is inside.

Unfortunately are the good Powermax pistons not to be found anymore. I suppose it's necessary to get some "American" made ones. Is it Venolia? how much can a set be?

Holbay motors had the twin DCOE weber setup, they also had the alloy sump, oil filter base with temp sender in it and a speficif date stanp on the block and different lucas dizzy. They also have different heads and pistons to stock alloy motors. Pulling the head will tell you if its a true holbay setup.. also they have "holbay" rocker covers.

I have a picture of the holbay setup in a G21 at home.. it also will have the orange fibregalss airbox for the webers.. i have heard some holbay cars had the twin stroms.. but i cant confir, thats correct.. most i know of are DCOE:

holbay head:

old grumpy

Donation Time
Yes, but a lot of things can happen since 1973. No Holbays have Stromberg but this is my scenario:
They begin fiddle with the Weber air adj. screws and after a while everything is out of order. A smart friend happen to pop by who says: these Weber's are impossibly to adjust. I have a Stromberg set-up that you put on just like that, and I take your lousy Weber instead.

The day I bought the car I noticed that after 10 miles it had a blown head gasket. I was in U.K. far away from home "tool-less"! It only appeared after the engine was warm. I guess the seller didn't know this because he did pay for the repair immediately. I had to be at the repair shop and give advice because they where uncertain what to do. Such an old car you know!!
When the head ( Hunter head) was off I noticed it was skimmed down to the lid bolt holes. The repair shop wanted to send it to another skim because that what they always do, but it was no option. Anyway, it had flat top piston and because of this head a terrible c.r. A Ginetta club member did drive 130 miles to give me a good Hunter head, a differential and some other thing he didn't need for free!!!
I was saved! Good bless the Ginetta club.
Having said that, I guess the Alpine Club members will do the same to each other.