• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

generator - regulator compatability

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Can I use a SIV regulator (ie RB340) with a SII generator (ie C40-1), with or without adjusting?

The C40-1 generator is a 22Amp, which would usually use a 2-coil RB106 regulator, whereas the 3-coil RB340 regulator has a default detting of 25Amp (but can presumably be adjusted), and was designed to be fitted with the C40-L 25 Amp generator.

The UK owners club user guide suggests that it is a simple replacement, with no adjustment, but I'm not so sure.

(I know, I know, I should just fit an alternator ;) )

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
I think might have answered my own question!
Just discovered that later "new minx" etc used the C40-1 with an RB340, so it must be OK!
cheers, Dave

mikephillips

Donation Time
Yes you can. I had an early regulator in a late series IV for years so the reverse shouldn't be a problem. Just look at the series IV wiring diagrahm when you install the RB340 as it wires a bit differently.

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
I've realised that the RB340 comes in a range of ratings, eg 25, 22 and 12 Amp versions, so I'll make sure I get the right one (although they can be adjusted if necessary)

What intrigues me is that my reference books imply that a 22Amp generator (C40-1) was fitted to all SI-IV Alpines, but an "update page" in my Rootes workshop manual definitely describes the fitting of a 25Amp RB340 regulator, although not in relation to any particular generator. Maybe a 25 Amp generator (C40-L) was fitted to some Alpines in certain environments?

Nickodell

Donation Time
Dave, unless you're a purist for original equipment, why not go with an alternator and get gobs of juice, a single-wire connection and avoid all the complication and problems with regulators?

I installed an AC Delco alternator in my SV when I restored it in 1980 and it lasted 18 years. The second one cost US$60 exchange and is going strong. With 60 amps on tap you can't overload it. I had to make a new mounting bracket, but half an hour with some 1 1/2 x 1/4" steel strip, my bench drill and a MAPP torch and it was done.

Heck, up there in tropical Darwin, you could even run air conditioning!

Wombat

Donation Time
Dave

I have checked my Hunter range manual and it lists the C40-1 and the C40-L as alternatives, both with the RB340. My Seriev IV had the C40-L and it worked OK, but it wasn't original because it was made in Australia. I never checked the output of it, but it kept the lights going and the battery chatged.

Maybe you will have to adjust the regulator to make the C40-L produce those extra 3 amps?

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes, I know I should go with an alternator, and I probably will quite soon. I'm not concerned with originality.
My "chief electrician" (ie Dad, the ex-Lucas bloke) is visiting for a month and helping me with the wiring. He wants me to retain the generator as I won't have the power requirements to warrant an alternator.
I'm keeping him happy, and interested in the project, by sticking with the generator for now (he did give it an overhaul for me last week while I was at work!). He says that when he started with Lucas in the late 50's his mate was designing the wiring loom for the Alpine!

mmm, air conditioning, sounds attractive on a day like today (35C and what feels like 99% humidity!). Maybe thats next years project, once I've renovated the hardtop...

Nickodell

Donation Time
mmm, air conditioning, sounds attractive on a day like today (35C and what feels like 99% humidity!).

What a coincidence. It's 35 degrees outside here in the NE USA too! :) Unfortunately, that's Fahrenheit. We get your combo of temp and humidity in midsummer here, too. That's why you can't sell a car in th US without A/C and why I have an in-ground pool even though you can only use it for the three hottest months (June, July, August).