• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Generator mounts

skywords

Donation Time
I noticed that my Generator was rattleing at idle on my Series II. Upon closer inspection I discovered the adjusting arm with the slot was severed in two. So I thought no problem I'll look in my spares for a serviceable unit only to find them all broken or cracked. I robbed one from my Series II project that had been reinforced with a doubler and installed it.

I started the engine and it was quiter but there still was some movement in the generator. The lower mount bolts were loose causing the movement and I am certain that the upper adjuster would crack in short order if not checked.

Tech Tip is to make sure all the mounting bolts are tight and secure. If you tighten the belt besure you retighten the lower bolts after the adjustment is completed.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
These generator/alternator adjuster brackets are in very short supply. We need repros made ASAP and the bottom mounts too.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
Mounts

These generator/alternator adjuster brackets are in very short supply. We need repros made ASAP and the bottom mounts too.

If some one can give me the sizes and shapes, I think it would be a fun project. Then how many are needed really?
Thats all.
Chuck

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Go Pumpkin -Chuck

;)
Someone draw up the plans for Chuck, I would be glad to but I don't know what happened to my brackets during the restoration. Chuck makes a excellent Alternator bracket, same thing and the one Chuck sent me was a fine specimen.

Donna
:D

skywords

Donation Time
Chuck
I have a broken upper that would easy to get dimensions from and I might have the lower bracket in the parts room. If you like I can mail it to you.

I'd bet if they were nice enough Rick at SS might want them. And maybe the other vendors also. They certainly are needed and I would buy.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Hi!
I could draw it up and provide plans or a solid model.
Are the SI & SII Mounts the same as the Generator Mounts on my SIII?
I could use the data from my SIII if they are the same.
(how quickly do we need this done?)
Regards,
Andrew

Nickodell

Donation Time
From an engineering point of view I don't see much real benefit from the curved shape of the adjustment arm. I know the reasoning behind it, to replicate the arc described by the generator/alternator as it pivots about the mounting bracket, but I feel that a straight arm would do the job just as well and be a lot easier to machine.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
To Technical?

Hi!
I could draw it up and provide plans or a solid model.
Are the SI & SII Mounts the same as the Generator Mounts on my SIII?
I could use the data from my SIII if they are the same.
(how quickly do we need this done?)
Regards,
Andrew

Sounds great Andrew but I don't think Chuck has a lathe or cutting machine in his garage that needs Catia files. Chuck needs a flat 2-dimensional drawing full scale so he could even trace the parts off on the paper to the sheet metal. Old school is working on the brackets not the new star trek replicators :D
I understand you enthusiasm since I do drafting work myself and for the next generation would be awesome to have all the alpine parts in a solid model file, make a 2-d drawing in a flash from the model file.

Donna
;)

howard

Donation Time
When my bracket broke I never found a replacement. So I drew a working plan for the machine shop- full scale. (I use to be a draftsman back in the old days.) If you want me to scan it in and e-mail it to you, let me know. Or, heck, I'll even snail mail a copy if you give me your address.

Gosh, I miss the smell of drafting powder...

BTW- the machine shop didn't follow the plan very close... they used a MUCH thicker metal, and I had to take it back for them to whack it into the correct tolerances. The part currently on my car isn't exactly the same as factory production, but it's probably twice as strong. I don't think I have to worry about it breaking again!

howard

Donation Time
You know, after reading Nick's comment about the curve of the part, there may be a misunderstanding on my part (no pun intended). The bracket I had and drafted for my SIV wasn't curved- it was a straight piece with a stepped angle in it to allow the belt to align properly. Maybe there's a difference between series brackets.

skywords

Donation Time
Howard
I thought the same about Nick's comment on the curve. The step bend or Joggle is not what I thought he was refering to either.

This would be another case for the Rootes Archive drawings. I wish I knew if they had the production drawings for these parts.

Nickodell

Donation Time
I thought the same about Nick's comment on the curve. The step bend or Joggle is not what I thought he was refering to either.

No, I wasn't. A straight piece of metal with the slot in it will allow exactly the same adjustment to tension the belt. And mine doesn't have the joggle either; I use shims (actually, washers) to align it with the plane of the alternator mating surface. I think they designed the curve for aesthetic reasons, not practical.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
gen mounts

Ladies and gents, I indicated that I could make them up ,,IF some one wants me to . send me the info on a PM or fax it to me at 503-698-3317. No biggy on equipment as mentioned before..these cars are not rockets or planes, very small on technology. Once one piece is made the rest would probably cost @10bucks to make..
Or if some one wants to make them with a high power digi machine let em...
I was just offering.
And Donna , Yes I do use the KISS system,, Keep it simple Sam..

Alls well on the western front.
Chuck