• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gearstick, non-synchro vs synchro

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi,
I've swapped my original non-first gear-synchro for an all synchro box.

I realise that the gearsticks are different, ie the "flat" is on the opposite side due to the different reverse shift pattern, so I modified my original stick (ground a flat on the opposite side and welded a section on the original flat to maintain strength). However, it doesn't sit right and it looks like the synchro box needs a stick that is shorter, ie from the pin/nylon bush to the ball/socket. Is this the case? If so I'll need to relocate the pin/bush.

Anyone else modified an early stick for a late gearbox?

I've got a proper stick "on order", but in the meantime I'm hoping to get the car moving to free up the hoist for another project!