• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gearbox

JonPiz

Donation Time
Having never driven the restoration project I bought 4 years ago, I do not know what condition the gearbox is in. My question is on the mainshaft, should there be any sideways movement at all?:confused:

mikephillips

Donation Time
Optimally no. But all the ones I have have a bit of play due to wear of the nose and rollers where it fits into the input shaft.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
It doesn't matter about little sideplay, because the yoke has a sleeve that slides into a bushing (in the tail shaft housing) to center everything and take side thrust. I wouldn't worry about it unless it feels like a bearing is shot