• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gear Reduction Starter

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
Considering installing a gear reduction starter on my 1725cc engine. This starter appears to hit the ring gear from the back side, while the original type starter hits the ring gear from the front side. Am I right so far? The ring gear has a bevel on the front for the original starter to engage, right? Does this lack of bevel on the rear affect the gear reduction starter's ability to properly engage or does the ring gear need to be reversed so that the bevel faces the rear?

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Don't worry about the lack of bevel on the ring gear.

I'm a BIG fan of after market starters on Alpines!

And have not had a problem with them or the non beveled ring gears.

Tigers don't have beveled ring gears.

I will ONLY put an original starter on an Alpine if an After market one is not available,

And then CHANGE it as soon as possible!

I have had my fill of stock Alpine starters, YEARS ago.

No, DECADES ago!