• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gasket Material?

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Hi gang, I would like to ask if anyone has ever used a gasket maker like “The Right Stuff†or something similar for their Oil Sump or their aluminum valve cover?
I have a friend that uses this Gasket maker on his drag car and said that it is the best thing to use. He told me to clean the face of the sump very well removing any oil residue. Then I was to butter the face and to go around all of the boltholes. He said to then clean the underside of the block and then to put a light coat of new oil around the face of the block. I was then to put the sump back onto the block and just put the bolts in place, but only tight enough as to when I see the gasket material starting to bulge out from the sides of the sump. Doing this would allow the sump to be removed without it being completely glued to the underside of the block. He also informed me that it enables the sump to be removed a number of times without the need to put a new gasket on the sump every time, is this correct. Do I still need an original paper gasket? I have replaced original paper gaskets in the past and used gasket material but I thing this gasket maker that he is talking about is something very different.
Can anyone shed some light on the subject and inform me what the best product would be to use?
Andrew

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
50 ways to skin a cat.
In some cases you'll find someone to tell you that 49 are wrong.
It's all a matter of opinion.
I for one make sure the sump is sealed right and sealed once, it should never have to come off anyhow.
On the rocker cover I use a cork gasket dry and just snug it down, as it comes off more frequently.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Gasket Material

Hi Jeff:
That sounds good but would you still use a standard paper gasket on the sump and butter each side with Gasket Maker Material or is it ok to just go with the Gasket Maker? I have always used a standard gasket and did the buttering thing but I was told with the new material one can do away with the standard paper gasket. I am just a little worried about the removal of the standard paper gasket on the sump, so I think I will do what I have done in the past.
Andrew

Beamin

Platinum Level Sponsor
On the first attempt, I used the paper gaskets on the sump with the cork pieces sealing around the front and rear bearing caps. After the first couple of test drives, I noticed a couple small oil leaks, particularly around the caps. My brother, who works as a mechanic, recommended The Right Stuff. So I dropped the sump pan, cleaned everything up, eliminated both the paper and cork gaskets, and applied a nice even bead of the Right Stuff all the way around the sump. Bolted everything back in place, and I have yet to see any drips from anywhere around the sump pan.

As mentioned previously, just one of many methods, but it worked well for me.

Andy