• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gasket for solex crab

Buckeye64

Donation Time
SIV original engine
I had my solex crab rebuilt and I am now ready to reinstall but I am having trouble with the gasket between the crab and the intake manifold.
From what I can tell they are not manufactured anymore, what do you use for the gasket?

Buckeye64

Donation Time
OK, 33 views but no responses.

Does anybody have an idea about this gasket?

p.s. I have a problem with my CARB not crabs as I posted in my first blog. Maybe that is why I received no responses!:)

Pumpkin

Donation Time
crabs

OK, 33 views but no responses.

Does anybody have an idea about this gasket?

p.s. I have a problem with my CARB not crabs as I posted in my first blog. Maybe that is why I received no responses!:)

Although I have never,,,never had crabs.. I had an uncle that did:eek:

About the gasket, I do not know if you are willing to do this, But I would take the carb down to a GOOD parts house, have them help you out with gasket material to work. I certainly would try that. And most likely some one at one of the local shops will help. It seems that as many of the old Solexx's out there, one would pop up some where.
Good luck in you venture.
You could always change it out for a good 32/36 Weber..:)
Ask Rick or Curt about that.

Chuck

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
First off, I know nothing about the Solex crab, or carb, whichever you prefer. If it was mine, I'd check out gaskets for the Weber 32/36, which has the same bolt pattern. If that is a no go, I'd simply cut a half dozen gaskets out of ordinary gasket material or single layer cardboard and stack them up until I had a gasket about a 1/4" thick. I think there are two missions for the gasket.
First is to seal any potential vacuum leaks and second is to insulate the carb from the intake manifold.

Bill

Buckeye64

Donation Time
You learn something new everyday!!!

If I would have taken the time to really look at the intake instead of being in a hurry to get the carb on I would have noticed the item I was looking at was the spacer that fits between the carb and intake. Also, the guy that rebuilt the carb included a new gasket that was in the box but I just didn't see it at first.

After I installed the carb, a new inline fuel filter, cleaned the fuel pump bowl and primed the lines I started the car. After a few cranks the engine turned over and I have never heard my car run so well. I didn't have to adjust the carb!!

The guy that rebuilt the Solex did a great job, looks like new!!:D
A one man shop, rebuilds all carbs. I would highly recommand this guy.
Here is his web site: http://www.carburetorusa.com

howard

Donation Time
Wish I'd seen that website before I got my new Weber carburettor- I like to stay as original as possible. I'll run the Weber as long as possible... then maybe send in the Solex to this guy for a rebuild.

I'm not knocking Weber, by the way. It appears to be a solidly built carb. The jury's still out as far as performance, as my car went kablooey right after I had it installed. (The carb had nothing to do with the malfunction...) Like I said, I'm somewhat of a purist.

Tullamore

Donation Time
I have the Solex in my daily driver Alpine and I think the gaskets are still available. The one part that is not is the plastic float so if you break that you might be out of luck. They also used the same float on the Alfa Romeo version of the Solex but nobody is making them anymore.

BTW - I love the Solex carb, that little starting carb on the side works great and the car fires up right away every time. I think if the car didn't have a mechanical fuel pump it wouldn't require much of a crank.

65beam

Donation Time
solex carb

if you guys were smart you would junk the solex and make a paper weight out of it.i have had them leak fuel to the point that my car caught fire after the wife parked it,the jets vibrate out and i had one get digested by the motor.they were a problem many years ago and that's why i went to a weber 25 years ago.that is my 2 cents based on 42 years of ownership.there is no comparison between the solex and the weber.the 32/36 has been trouble free on several of my cars and i continue to use them.

Tullamore

Donation Time
You can upgrade everything on a car but there is something to be said about a car that is still running around with it's original equipment.

65beam

Donation Time
curse words

JOSE,

you're right about having a lot to say about some of the original equipment.i sometimes wonder if the financial situation of rootes didn't force them to make a lot of bad decisions over the years along with the loss of good people.i guess i have lived thru some of the weird problems that cropped up over the years.i still remember when dad bought the series 4.he thought the single carb would be great.i was trying to get him to buy an mgb.but he cussed that carb many times over the years.when i put the weber on it and he first drove it ,he noticed the improvment.originality is great but improvement is much better.along with peace of mind.