• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gas tank for a 62 Alpine

Steven Hodges

Silver Level Sponsor
Need a gas tank for 62 alpine or an alternative....
Mine seems to be leaking...I have had it relined and patched but still leaks....

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would try resealing again. Finding one that will not need the same service will be very difficult.

65beam

Donation Time
When I brought this project home I took the gas tank to Doug @ Tiger Auto. The tank had been previously cleaned and coated inside but had set for a few years. There appeared to be some not so great repairs so we had the tank dipped and Doug found lots of pin holes in the area where the tank sets in the adaptor and the body. This is the area where the flange is on the early tanks.100_0621.JPG He cut a section out of the bottom of the tank so he could use a light to find the bad areas, cut out the bad areas and fabricated replacement sections which were welded in and finished. Then it went back to the dipper in Cincinnati to be recoated inside.

65beam

Donation Time
Items like this could be termed a band aid if you don't repair the damage. The problem of a hole still exists unless you properly repair it.

Steven Hodges

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for all your ideas. I was hoping for a possible fitment of some other tank later model or something. One thing l have done was replaced all of my gauges with Autometer sportcomp gauges but the programmable fuel gauge has never worked right .l guess l was hoping for a tank that might fit with a different sending unit in it as l have reversed the polarity of my car . I know what does this have to do with my leaky fuel tank anyway lm rambling. Thanks

alpine_64

Donation Time
@Steve.. If you are open to some cutting Chuck Ingram who sadly passed fitted a mustang tank iirc.. It will be in the forum somewhere.

While the sii has the terrible boot layout the advantage is its basically a drop tank.. You could go buy an ATL race drop tank and fit that.. Find one with the filler neck offset instead of central.. You will gain some safety and probably a few more litres capacity.

Steven Hodges

Silver Level Sponsor
@Steve.. If you are open to some cutting Chuck Ingram who sadly passed fitted a mustang tank iirc.. It will be in the forum somewhere.

While the sii has the terrible boot layout the advantage is its basically a drop tank.. You could go buy an ATL race drop tank and fit that.. Find one with the filler neck offset instead of central.. You will gain some safety and probably a few more litres capacity.
Thank you so much for that advice I'm going to look into that

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I fitted an 8 gallon fuelsafe sportsman fuel cell to my S2. It fits in the original location with a frame I created to support the cell from the rear area where the spare would sit (on the old tank). Its taller than to original but still fits under the parcel shelf.