• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gas tank cleaning

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
When you come up with an idea, you figure someone must have come up with this before, but here it is anyway.
Just finished cleaning out my gas tanks, and thought I would share. I used a sharp gravel inside the tanks and after about 20 minutes of turning and shaking etc. I thought that was way too much work, so set to figuring out how to rig up something to do the hardwork. Was at Home Depot, and saw a cement mixer, and thought it would be ideal to secure the tanks in there and just turn it on. But I wasn't going to buy a cement mixer just for that. Then my eye focused on my engine stand sitting in the corner, and since it rotates, I just strapped the tank on to the faceplate, rigged a handle to the rotating bar. Greased up the pivot point, and was able to turn the tank quite easily everytime I went into the shop. Don't know if this is the best way, but it was certainly a cheap and easy way to clean out the tanks. That gravel just scoured the tanks clean as can be.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oh My

I thought I was going to read that you hooked it up to a treadmill and had the family dog powering it up. :)

I have done many motorcycle gas tanks using the electrolysis method with washing soda and a battery charger and a steel bar. Set it and forget it, it does all the work.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Wrap it up in a blanket so it won't move and stuff into clothes dryer...just don't let wife know. Better to do when she's shopping.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Wrap it up in a blanket so it won't move and stuff into clothes dryer...just don't let wife know. Better to do when she's shopping.

That is a brilliant idea! Have you actually done it? Did the dryer smell like old gas when you were done?

RootesRich

Donation Time

Please do not do this. Any residual gas fumes in the tanks could ignite even if the dryer was set on the "cool" setting.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Vinegar. Mind you have to buy lots but it really works

What is the process with vinegar? I assume you mean distilled white vinegar. I've been using straight distilled white vinegar to clean off rust and old paint from car parts. Soak the part for a day or two in vinegar and the rust is eliminated and old paint basically falls off.

Once the vinegar is out of the gas tank, I assume it needs to be rinsed out, but then the steel wants to start rusting right away. Wondering what you did there.

Thanks,
Mike

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
You could use some type of metal prep, like Ospho and then rinse again and dry out with air or hot air would be great.:cool:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The best bet is to use a zinc phosphate solution. Eats away at the rust at least as good as vinegar, leaves a micro etched surface for the liner to attach to and provides a good degree of rust protection while the part dries. The POR kit contains Metal Prep, a good zinc phosphate solution.

As most of you are well aware, I am all for doing jobs with materials on hand or easily sourced. Not this time. I think the POR 15 kit is the only way to go if you are going to DIY.

Bill

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm still surprised how many guys go the hard DIY way with cement mixers, toxic chemicals, etc. Just brought mine to a good local paint stripping shop with sand blasting and clear coating capability. Both tanks came back in primer and after a Good satin black spay can job they are installed and performing fine...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm still surprised how many guys go the hard DIY way with cement mixers, toxic chemicals, etc. Just brought mine to a good local paint stripping shop with sand blasting and clear coating capability. Both tanks came back in primer and after a Good satin black spay can job they are installed and performing fine...

Performing fine... for how many years?

Bill

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
It's a special clear coat inside said to withstand even 10% alcoholic gas. Installed the first tank set in June and went 2000 miles to T50 celebration in UK. So far no problem but let's see. For 40 bucks per tank quite a deal..

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
With a clear coat in the gas tank, how do you know if it is flaking off and clogging the fuel system?

Mike

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
It's a special clear coat inside said to withstand even 10% alcoholic gas. Installed the first tank set in June and went 2000 miles to T50 celebration in UK. So far no problem but let's see. For 40 bucks per tank quite a deal..

Yes, but I'm concerned that you did not mention chemical treatment (etching) of the inside of the tanks. Sand blasting gives a good etch, but I don't think they could have reached all internal surfaces. Zinc phosphate would have.

In the states, use of a chemical etching material by a professional brings the shop under some pretty stiff environmental regs, so most shops avoid etchents if at all possible. An individual can use the same material (might be pretty difficult to find) but does not have to meet the environmental standards. POR 15 Metal Prep is a material a DIY'er can use but a pro would avoid.

So this is an instance where a DIY'er can do a better job than most pros.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I like it!!

Try this link for the POR15 Tank Sealer Kit

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-Repair-Kit_p_62.html

I've used it in two different vehicles that had extensive rust problems.

One was done back in early 90's. Still usable tanks.

Latest is my '67 SV. The insides could not have looked better if new. The latest POR 15 kit was more than enough to do both tanks an some let over.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the link Dan. I just ordered the kit.

I drained my gas tank last night for a non-fuel related project and noticed a mix of bare metal and black paint inside the tank. Time to seal the tanks.

Mike

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tanks painted inside?

Are all Alpine and Tiger gas tanks painted inside? I have a series V Alpine that has black (something)inside that's peeling. It has not clogged the system Yet.....I looked in the tank of the Mk1 tiger and it is bare, no paint just spots of rust. With 10% ethanol gas is that causing the paint to peel? Looking at the other blogs on this it appears there will be tank removal in the future.
Al

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Are all Alpine and Tiger gas tanks painted inside? I have a series V Alpine that has black (something)inside that's peeling. It has not clogged the system Yet.....I looked in the tank of the Mk1 tiger and it is bare, no paint just spots of rust. With 10% ethanol gas is that causing the paint to peel? Looking at the other blogs on this it appears there will be tank removal in the future.
Al

Yes, they were all painted. The paint lasted a long time, but I doubt Rootes was thinking 50+ years at the time. As I recall, people started talking about finding paint flakes in the fuel pump at least 25 years ago, maybe more. Ethanol may make it worse, but the problem proceeds the wide spread use of it. Besides clogging the filter in the pump, they tend to clog the fuel line, especially at the point of the connection to the crossover tube between the tanks.

Cleaning and relining the tanks is a pain in the ass, but not terribly difficult. Fortunately, there are two good 'how to' articles available on this site. The first covers removal and reinstallation of the tanks:
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/downloads/S3-SV Fuel Tank Installation Tips.pdf

The second is about the actual cleaning and relining:
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?categoryid=82&p2_articleid=19

It is a common enough problem that there have also been many discussions about this on the forum. Google is the best way to search here. As a starting point, try "gas tanks" site:sunbeamalpine.org

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tank paint

Thanks for the reply Jim,
This is the first I noticed the paint coming off since my others had the problem addressed. The MK1 was done before 95 and the MK2 has been cleaned and coated (there was an incident with diesel fuel). I have taken out the ones on the MK1 and it was a pain putting them back in. Mostly the crossover pipe and rubber connectors. Looks like another winter project is being planned
Al