• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gas Strut Conversion

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Just for ducks You can use one gas spring works just a well also the gas spring that Bill has sourced is the correct one not one with metric fittings as Nick has noted and Bill if your clever you'll make the bushing out of a 1/2" hex head bolt

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, I got one loaded, but that is all. Maybe I'll figure out the correct process. Anyway, this bolt will serve as the body anchor. Just a 1/2-13 stainless steel bolt drilled and tapped for the 5/16-18 ball stud. The stainless proved to be tough to drill and tap, so unless I can find a "nicer" grade of stainless, the bolt in the kit will be #2, which is soft, leaded steel.

Attachments

• IMG_4699.JPG
    IMG_4699.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 76

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Bill, looks like picture loading worked. Still troubles? PM me if you need to. Note that it does take a minute for the upload and re-size to happen. It's not always instant, and doesn't always show progress well on different browsers. Looking good!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ken, my problem is consistency. It seems that I can attach only one pic per post. This one is of the grody bolt I used. I'm pretty sure the second generation bolts will look better. Shaped more like the SS bolt.

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_4701.JPG
    IMG_4701.JPG
    600.7 KB · Views: 62

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
bolts backwards
So you do not drill/tap through the head?

Ken, while dragging the photo, where should the picture be located when it is released? If it is within the dotted rectangle, it loads as part of the text, which makes the message too large. If outside of the rectangle, the image usually jumps to full screen and I have to close Firefox to escape. When I reopen Firfox and return to the post, there is no image.

Bill

sunbeamv6

Donation Time
The kit will use a different gas spring, McMaster-Carr #4138T55, 30 lb. They have permanently attached ball studs with 5/16"-18 threads. They have an extended length of 15.24", which increases lid lift. Cost is $17.51 each.

The kit has a slightly different design and is more complete. If the kit buyer purchases these gas springs, no other parts need to be purchased. The original 1/4" mounting bolts can be utilized with no clearance issues.

I notice that Nick counter sunk the mounting holes to accept a flat or oval head screws. The standard configuration of mine will not be countersunk in order to reuse the stock hex head bolt. If you want them countersunk, please state so on the order. There will be no charge for countersinking them.

The kit will cost $25, including shipping in the USA.

Nick, I am unable to post photos (software issues on my end), could you post the photos I sent to you?

Bill
Hi Bill, Are these trunk gas strut kits available? Please let me know. Thanks!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Bill, Are these trunk gas strut kits available? Please let me know. Thanks!
Been sold out for the past couple of years. Right now I am butt deep in getting the DuraPine #2 built, so it will be a while before I cant get any made.. If anybody wants to make a few kits, be my guest.

Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I have them on both cars and made a smaller version for the hood/bonnet of my blue car. Will hold the hood open, as long as the wind isn’t blowing.

FD2A67BA-6300-456B-A481-8A3AFB34DD46.jpeg 7E463F83-32EF-4C81-B5B1-79DF075DF128.jpeg I installed a prop rod on the driver side for two reasons. 1-prop hood on the opposite side I’m working on, 2- when I’m at a show or meet, and open the hood, both rods are propped so the hood doesn’t twist.