• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fuel tank replacement

SV Dick

Donation Time
In order to remove a leaking fuel tank in a Series V, my son and I had to remove the trunk spring and attachment on the side of the leaking tank. However, that was not an easy task, and putting the spring back on does not appear to be an easy task either. How have you that have accomplished that task managed it?:confused:

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Attach the springs before attaching the boot lid hinges to the boot lid, will need pliers with a good grip.

Allan

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Its a little late to help you now, but I removed the tanks on my SV parts car over the weekend. I was about to remove the springs when I decided to try a different approach: I unbolted the mechanism from the trunk lid. That allowed me to rotate the entire attachment just enough to get the tank out past the catch that holds the spring. I did one side (while my wife held the trunk open, just in case) then the other. Both came out fine using this method.

I should point out that the trunk lid no longer closes correctly, but I assume this is because I didn't bother adjusting everything when I was done. The lid is coming off soon anyway, as it is much better then the rest of the car.

nickraymond

Donation Time
i was taking one off for the first time just over a year ago!
And almost knocked my two front teeth out.. had a pretty soar lip for a few weeks... :rolleyes:

SV Dick

Donation Time
Thanks all. You were not too late because we still need to get the tank repaired. Appreciate the help.

SV Dick

Donation Time
Some one said their are no stupid questions, so here goes. We replaced the repaired gas tank (yes, there was an identifiable hole) and connected the hose between the tanks. However, upon running the car with a full tank, a fairly significant drain of fuel from the same area (left rear) occured upon startup. That leak stopped immediately upon shutdown. I infer from this that the new leak must be associated with the line from the tanks to the fuel pump.

We didn't have the time at the time to trace the fuel line between the fuel pump to the gas tanks, so haven't checked this out yet. However, none of the manuals show where that line connects with the tanks.

You folks who have disassembled your Sunbeams probably know just where to look, and I would appreciate the shortcut that your advice may provide.

RootesRich

Donation Time
For those of you needing to remove the tanks, the easiest way to deal with the boot springs is to do what Jim Stone did by removing the arm from the trunk lid.
I trace the mounting location on the trunk lid 1st so I don't have alignment problems when it comes to bolting them back on, then I wrap a couple of zip ties around the arm joint to lock it fully extended. I unbolt one side and pull the tank, then bolt it back up to the lid and do the other side. With the joint zip tied, the trunk lid stays up with just 1 arm bolted and the other free (just in case you don't have a friend available to help). When you pull the arm away from the lid it relieves almost all the tension in the spring and makes removal a snap.