• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fuel Shut-off

Lolat324

Donation Time
Brought my '63 Gt out this weekend after a long winter nap. Checked everything, added some no-E fuel. Drove it about 15 miles, a few stop and goes. Then headed back to the shop. After entering the freeway, after a long, tight left hand on ramp, about the moment I went to 4th gear, the car died. Full battery charge, but after 5 minutes of trying it was a no start. Called a buddy, added a few more gallons, cranked a bit, it ran for 30 seconds, then died. That was it. Flat tow to the shop..The glass bowl is full, but in all of the cranking I never smelled fuel. Guessing I have a plug between the pump and the carbs..That long on ramp stirred up some gunk-I think. I'd appreciate ideas. Also clarification-what is the small round knurled nob next to the glass bowl that says "Pull-open"-is that a shut off valve. It was down, was the fuel simply shut off? Thanks everyone.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The fuel shut-off valve was unique to the S3 and possibly the S3 GT. I have one that I can't get to at the moment to check it, but "Pull-open" would certainly suggest that it should be up. I doubt it was down to start, since you were able to drive 15 miles, but maybe it wasn't fully open to start and 'collapsed' after hitting a bump? It might also be worn out and thus not able to stay firmly up? As a start, it can't hurt to pull up the knob ad see what happens.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Have your gas tanks ever been re-done? They are notorious for shedding paint flakes. Many threads here discussing this issue.

Lolat324

Donation Time
Thanks Todd they were redone, but can't say for sure that they were painted inside or just cleaned/boiled. Plan to try and start it tomorrow..

Lolat324

Donation Time
Some followup, as Jim noted in his reply, my S3 Gt has a small knurled brass knob next to the fuel pump. It say 'Pull On' and when I checked it, it was down. Pulled it up and bingo! Started right up. Just something I hadn't noticed. Thanks everyone! Now on to the next issue.
'

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Like I said, I wouldn't think you would have been able to drive as far if it was down initially. Does it go up and down with a positive click? If not, it may be worn and likely to fall back down again at an inopportune time. I don't think they are available or that there is a rebuild kit for them, but someone else may know for sure. It is also possible that some other car used something very similar and that might be an option if you want to keep it as stock as possible.