• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

fuel pump safety switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a cutoff master between the battery and the Switch.

Also have an off /on flip switch for the electric fuel pump wired between the pump and the ignition.

Sometimes this olde man forgets the "flip" switch and starts out with the engine running, then it dies like running out of gas..... which then reminds me that I forgot something:)

alpine_64

Donation Time
I started life when cars did not have seatbelts, padded dash, collapsible columns, door safety beams, brake-away mirrors, padded visors, air bags, or any of today's safety devices.... Me, I prefer my freedom to make my own choices.

Yup.... And literally thousands more people were badly injured and killed without all of the above. I support your right to be impailed on a steering column, head hit the 'screen, face split open by some hard plastic visors... All of the above.

The cars are old... They didnt come with a lot of safety features and thus especially in modern traffic require being driven with a certain level of caution and comon sense.... But not installing or wearing seatbelts is just ...... and adding a small safety switch is not obtrusive and ultimately a decent idea. Feel free to choose to die or injur yourself without comon sense, but encouraging others to do the same is just irresponsible.... Id say its like tellimg people not to get vaxinated against polio ....but there are people trying to push that too.... o_O

65beam

Donation Time
Yup.... And literally thousands more people were badly injured and killed without all of the above. I support your right to be impailed on a steering column, head hit the 'screen, face split open by some hard plastic visors... All of the above.

The cars are old... They didnt come with a lot of safety features and thus especially in modern traffic require being driven with a certain level of caution and comon sense.... But not installing or wearing seatbelts is just ...... and adding a small safety switch is not obtrusive and ultimately a decent idea. Feel free to choose to die or injur yourself without comon sense, but encouraging others to do the same is just irresponsible.... Id say its like tellimg people not to get vaxinated against polio ....but there are people trying to push that too.... o_O
Over the years I've never seen you say what car you have for every day use. What do you drive besides the Sunbeams? The amount and number of safety features vary from car to car. It's getting harder to understand the basics. There are a bunch of features on the wife's new SUV that I would love to delete. The first would be the back up alarm system. It picks up the trees in front of the house. Are Australian safety requirements similar to the states?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bob, It doesn't matter what someone else is driving.... Their choice:) Like you, not liking some feature, I have an '03 Dodge that did not come with a baCKUP ALARM, bUT DURING A RECALL, I was snookered into a FEDERAL SAFETY feature that some idiot had let his DOdge back over him after putting it in reverse.

To my surprise, later at home or along the way I opened the drivers door to look back where I wanted to back to and LOUD Noise Began to near split my ear drums..... When I put the car in reverse the horns started blaring because I had opened the door.

I tried to get the DODge dealer to change it back but they refused.

Still don't like it! Sure wish I knew how to cut it off. Yuh!!!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have been involved with the Alpines since the first one came on the island of Bermuda 1959. My friend Chamberlain bought the 1st Series I to enter the island. It was a little Red one. Quarantined by the 40 Thieves (The Families the ran the Island of Bermuda Government).

They said it had too much compression and Horse Power.

I said that to say the Alpine has been a great little Sports car for us to enjoy. Some things designed by Rootes was ahead of its' time. Now that we are driving them much faster and encountering a huge volume of traffic, many things have come forth demanding we enhance the Alpine to meet a more stringent safety standard. When I say we I mean the Alpine owner - not the government.

I have encountered various situations where Alpines have been in some near fatal situations.

I have five Alpines all of which will have a better braking system if I live long enough to make those improvements (rear disc). I have enjoyed the EPS I designed too. Even though it is not a safety feature. Air Conditioning also not a safety, but an added creature comfort:)

Better tires and wheels are surely safer for our enjoyment.

I really enjoy my Alpine and with the SAOCA's Motto.....Keep'em-on-the-Road, I am attempting just that,

Last edited by a moderator:

loose_electron

Donation Time
Jerry, Can you provide a schematic ?

Pretty simple, the battery connects to the starter solenoid on the firewall. At that point a wire branches off that feeds power to the ignition switch.

That wire provides power to everything in the car except the starter.

If you are going to put a safety kill switch anyplace, that's the location to put it.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Jerry! I have mine connected as you point out. Thought it was OK. But not having a great understanding of electric stuff I thought I needed clarification.

Again thanks for sharing your expertise!

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
1968 crash standards and every years change orders. If you were a VW guy you could see the 1/2 baked German fixes that satisfied the powers that be in a representative govt. that could have kept Sunbeams in production. For example the puny 3" to 5 " crush piece in the steering col. etc. Trouble is all these "safety" things inhibit Darwinism :) and all those keeping up on social media while driving may survive but it spells trouble for us in front.

65beam

Donation Time
Wow! Do you guys live with that many crashes? A fender bender around here makes the front page of the local paper. Big news.

65beam

Donation Time
The route 23 pipeline runs thru the center of town. For those that don't know this is a direct route for drug movement from Michigan to points south. The state has a large group of troopers every shift so traffic is well maintained. Every body drives carefully in this part of the world. Do something stupid on the road and you may get your vehicle torn apart.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
You know in all of this what happens if, due to the accident, someone is incapacitated or dazed and confused and doesn't get to turn off the fuel / power switch ?

if you`re going to have it why not automate it ?

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Be nice to red heads they are endangered species :) If I could stand the look of headrest seats they'd be in the car. I'm more troubled by the cross over tubes being smashed loose than the pump running on but its a good idea. To be sure assumption of risk is a element of free choice. While you can drink or smoke yourself to death you can't ride a motorcycle without a helmet in many states Big Brother is the problem. Oh and PS there are areas to ride and feel the wind in both of my remaining hairs.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
This may be the most heavily moderator-edited thread in the history of this forum! It is sad and depressing that a legitimate question keeps degenerating into political discussion that does nothing to answer the question and nothing to further the Club’s mission. The Board is currently discussing how to best deal with this situation and will share our thinking shortly. In the meantime I am locking this thread down. It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.