• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fuel Line

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Series V Alpine, twin Strombergs. I've been enjoying my new Alpine experience by laying under it for hours and admiring the fine detail Rootes designers built in. (snark) The flexible fuel line used is a type I have not seen before. Black plastic material, very tough and hard. Not like the soft fuel line you get at most auto parts stores. Where do you source this stuff? I may need to restring the system if I go to electric pump.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
I think that part of your experience is just beginning:D as I too have been under, over, and inside my Series V. Isn't it great ? Especially when you look out the door and it's a perfect Alpine day .

Tom j

I'll get this vehicle back on the road if it's the next to the last thing I ever do !

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've been a Triumph GT6 guy for years and have been under that once!! Everything lifts off from the top. The crazy thing is, I am trying to solve a gauge problem but the fuel system has decided to join the fun. It pee'd it's gas all over the floor so I had to fix that leak then the fuel pump decided not to suck and all I really want to do is warm the darned thing up so I can see if I have fixed the gauge!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAARRRGH!

Once that is done, I can then try to figure out why it sounds like a VW when rev'ing from idle. Maybe blowing through the mainfold, not sure. Does yours just vroom vroom or is the pickup slow?

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Right now mine makes no sound at all, the head is out for repair.. The weather is killing me, could be logging lots of miles........but I waited too long to start repairs. which started with replacing the starter, then one thing lead to another .etc. etc. etc. Hey, once it's back together I'm sure it'll be sounding good(any engine sound is better than what I've heard the last 4 months)

Tom j

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think it is an English car thing. I responded to an ad with my GT6 looking for a generator. Turns out he had a rust free body tub and a newer engine he was getting rid of. So to replace the generator, I replaced the body, coverted to right hand drive, upgraded the engine and converted to an alternator. Oh, he had sold the generator earlier that day...

lemansvk

Donation Time
Series V Alpine, twin Strombergs. I've been enjoying my new Alpine experience by laying under it for hours and admiring the fine detail Rootes designers built in. (snark) The flexible fuel line used is a type I have not seen before. Black plastic material, very tough and hard. Not like the soft fuel line you get at most auto parts stores. Where do you source this stuff? I may need to restring the system if I go to electric pump.

Not sure about the V, but most Rootes cars of that era came with metal fuel lines. Quite common for them to have been replaced with who-knows-what by a DPO. My III had clear plastic with thread thru it. It worked fine but the registration (licensing) inspectors didn't like it so I used standard rubber fuel line (not the high pressure injection type). This will also allow you to easily fit an in-line filter.

BTW, if you change to electric my understanding is that they like to push, not suck and are best mounted at the back. Personally I'd put a kit in the manual pump.

Cheers, Vic

65beam

Donation Time
all of the series 5 cars that i have had over the years had the plastic fuel line.these ranged from #622 to one that was 49 cars from the end of production.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I checked with AutoSport in Seattle and Brad there showed me a clear plastic version that was similar and apparently used by Jag's. I think I am going to go with a kit. Although everything looks right, I suspect the one way valves may not be anymore. Anyway, a $16 mistake is better than a $100+ conversion. (I also suspect that Strombergs are not good electric pump candidates. I asked Nigel at SpitBits--if you ever get a Spitfire or GT6, this is your guy--to quote one and he refused, just said they didn't recommend them)

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
(I also suspect that Strombergs are not good electric pump candidates. I asked Nigel at SpitBits--if you ever get a Spitfire or GT6, this is your guy--to quote one and he refused, just said they didn't recommend them)

They can work fine with electric pumps, but you must have a regulator to restrict pressure to < 2psi otherwise they will flood past the float valves.

I use an SU puller pump with my Stroms, no problem, but I also use an additional modern in-line fuel-injection-type fuel filter between the pump and the carbs. It helps to smooth out the flow and reduce pulsing.

alpine_64

Donation Time
all of the series 5 cars that i have had over the years had the plastic fuel line.these ranged from #622 to one that was 49 cars from the end of production.

I am quite sure the SI/II ran the metal fuel lines. Even the priod shots you see of the early alpines with zeniths show metal lines in the engine bay

Pumpkin

Donation Time
All series ll had steel lines "except" when body to engine and pump to carb matching were made. As far as I know.. Mine is steel from the tank to the frame at the engine bay, then a rubber hose, then a steel pipe into the pump.
Then out of the pump is steel, around the engine and up to the carb, where now I have modified it to take on a Weber 32-36 steel / rubber fitting. On my Strombergs it was the same to the 'T" fittings and a rubber fitting.

Good luck in you FITTING and fitting. In my view, any thing that looks good and makes it work great.. It's in the bag.:D

Also if any are intrested I installed my adjustable pressure devise and am very happy, and looks good in the bay too!!
Have a great week end .
Chuck

65beam

Donation Time
my red harrington has a metal line from the fuel tank to the pump.then there is a fitting on the output side of the pump that is a 90degree fitting.the fuel line to the carbs has a female fitting that fastens to this elbow.there is a metal line to the carbs. since this car has 24000 original miles and i have all receipts for everything done to the car since new and i have not found anything to say otherwise i believe this to be the correct setup for it's fuel line. my other harrington has the same setup also.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
my red harrington has a metal line from the fuel tank to the pump.then there is a fitting on the output side of the pump that is a 90degree fitting.the fuel line to the carbs has a female fitting that fastens to this elbow.there is a metal line to the carbs. since this car has 24000 original miles and i have all receipts for everything done to the car since new and i have not found anything to say otherwise i believe this to be the correct setup for it's fuel line. my other harrington has the same setup also.

Mine is set up with the black hard plastic line from the tank to just short of the pump. It is then clamped to a steel line bent at 90% with a balloon end that goes into a female fitting on the pump. The out port is a male fitting that a flexible (again hard plastic is used) line is slipped over and clamped that travels to the carbs. Since we are here, I notice the line passes close to the exhaust port on #1 as it traverses the water pump. Is there a vapor lock issue with these cars from that that I need to know about?

Fastback

Donation Time
Since we are here, I notice the line passes close to the exhaust port on #1 as it traverses the water pump. Is there a vapor lock issue with these cars from that that I need to know about?

Both my '67 Series V and '69 GT fastback have the same plastic line, from tank-to-fuel pump, and fuel pump-to-carbs; never had a problem with vapor lock issues.