• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Front license plate mounting

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I'm tired of being nervous about not having a front plate, which I believe is de rigueur in Illinois. I have no bracket at all, and eBay items usually go pretty steep, so I'm looking to rig something up.
I'm using a boat trailer license plate bracket, by the way. Galvanized steel, and cheap, too. But hardly original.
Ken

Ken, sorry jumped forums on you, but is that on the front or rear?

Also does anyone know the size of the bolts into the front valance offhand?

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Just the front. I have the lighted bracket on the back. If you go to a West Marine, or a decent marina with trailer supplies, sometimes even WalMart, etc... they'll have something that should work. I have fabricated sheetmetal below the front bumper, so no existing mounting holes for me... and not much structure, either.

If you think you might do fog/driving lights, you might want to make kind of an upside down badge bar, attached via existing bumper bolts, that is beefy enough to hold your plate and extra lights.

Ken

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Thanks Ken.

Not sure that a regular bracket will work, at least not without combining it with something else. The front valance mounting holes are ~14" apart, maybe for those wide UK type plates? Seems US plate mounting holes are only 7" apart.

I'll just cobble something up, then it will match the rest of the car. :rolleyes: