• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Front Disc Brake Pads

Mark B

Donation Time
Hello All-

Great day and decided to go for a spin. I heard and felt a bit of grind in the front left brakes and decided to peek and see if it was just from overwintering or another issue. Turns out the inboard pad is shot. Being impatient, I called a few of the local parts stores and went through the usual pain of "A what?? Who makes Sunbeam?"... Per usual, once they found the listing its NLA.

Long story short, does anyone know of any compatible crossover for the front pads from other cars? MG, Triumph or such?

I rarely get a chance to take a long spin and the kids are at Grandmas, the steaks are in the fridge, I have a nice cigar, and its 70 degrees. Tinkering is fun, (been at it all morning), but I'm itching to hit some rolling country roads.

Many thanks is advance. If I get no responses for a while, I hope it is because your all out driving and smiling.

Take care,

Mark B

Mark B

Donation Time
Hey All-

Here I am replying to my own post. My earlier search did not seem to work and I tried again...bingo. Loads of info on the exact subject just waiting for me in these hallowed pages.

I am off to get some Datsun 240 pads and we'll see if they work.

Thanks

Mark B

Jim E

Donation Time
I like the 84 Saab 900s semi metalic cheapest of the sort they have listed better than the Datsun units, but that is just me. You may have to file the sides of any of the 'replacement' non-sunbeam pads a bit, on the steel part so they slide in and float around free. Do not over do it or they will clack a bit at low speed.

Mark B

Donation Time
Thanks Jim. It was nice to have a list of options to run through at the various places I attempted to find a set in stock. I had found some other strings on other sites with part numbers etc... and just kept giving the next on the list until a set was located in a nearby warehouse (Carquest). I ended up with 1976 Capri II pads and they fit perfectly with the exception of the holes for the retainer pins which took two seconds to drill to the correct size. They seemed to have enough float when I cleaned the calipers a bit and were easy to get in and out mulitple times.

They did have a set for a 240z which appeared to be nearly identical with the exception of a third hole in the middle of the back for another retaining pin.

Took the car out for a little blast before sundown thankfully and it was nice and quiet up front a felt solid. Of course it raining today, so I'm glad I got out when I did.

Thanks again to all for the good info.

Mark B