• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Front Brake Pads

AlpineII

Donation Time
I need a set of brake pads for my Series II. Is there a replacement from another car that people are using? It would be nice to be able to go down to the local auto-parts store and pick some up!

dmich2

Donation Time
Eddie. I replaced the pads and calipers on my SIV last summer with a loaded caliper kit from Advance Auto. It was from a 72-74 Capri, I think....:eek: , I know it was a 70's Caprt. Fit like a glove. If you can get to the Old Forum and do a search "Disc Brake Calipers" you'll see the thread. Others did the same with their SII's. They're a lot cheaper than from VB.

Good luck.

Dennis

skywords

Donation Time
Why not buy them from Rick at SS? Everything we buy from him is helping him stay in business. Sure you might find something that works at Napa but are they going to provide you with the priceless bits that only the guys like him can provide. $48.00 is not much money and they will work just fine. Running a business in Los Gatos California can't be cheap so lets give him the sale!! When he is gone don't cry.

Rick

dmich2

Donation Time
Try this link. I'm no wiz at computer's but...:confused:

http://www.saoca.org/Sforum/viewtopic.php?t=2559&highlight=disc

And Rick. I hear you, and I'm all for giving SS business as they are a great resource. However, like a lot of us, if I can save big bucks on SOME parts I'm afraid that's the route I'm gonna take. :p Keeping Sweet Pea maintained is expensive enough with the prices for some of the parts. Not to worry. SS, CS and VB will get plenty of my money for parts no one else has or manufactures presently.

Dennis

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
brake pads

To answer your question of pads, here it is. Mid 70's Mercery Capri pads and my favorite Datsun 240, 260Z cars work as well, more suface area with these pads.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
To answer your question of pads, here it is. Mid 70's Mercery Capri pads and my favorite Datsun 240, 260Z cars work as well, more suface area with these pads.

The 70s capri, or 70s datsun 240/260 pads wont fit on an early alpine, the shape is different.

If you are hell bent to use the capri pads with modification, you can go to the old auto-X alpine webpage to get a tech note I wrote up about 15 years ago, but the labor to modify them to fit the early calipers will cost far more than you think you are saving. That is unless the pads are something that you cant get for the early car (semi or full metallics), in which case you dont have a choice.

The only car I know of that uses the same pad as the early alpine is the daimler 250, so good luck with that.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Fyi

I do not know about Alpine I, II, but the pads fit the III, IV, V alpines with no problem. I have used these pads for over 30 years.:eek:

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
A while back I had a friend who sells Alfa performance parts offer to try and source Porterfield pads for the Alpine but I am betting they would be fairly pricey compared to Rick's deal. They are good pads but Lime Rock, where I race most, brakes have rarely been an issue.

Options are somewhat limited for the early cars... I don't think there is a modern (or newer) cross reference for the I's and II's. The only cross-reference I am familiar with is the Damlier.

Steve

dmich2

Donation Time
OOOPS..:eek: Sorry Eddie. I thought they were all the same but when I went back and read the old forum thread I realized there is a difference in the SI and SII's and the SIII's on. Sorry for the confusion.

Good luck. Go with SS and get the correct pads.

Dennis

Pumpkin

Donation Time
brake pads

I was purusing the list's the other day, some of the older ones. Somewhere I say a post one gettinga set of ?? and grinding them to the same configuration of the old pads.
I shall look again..
Chuck

AlpineII

Donation Time
So I went ahead and ordered a set from Rick but.... Rick was out and had to check his source. His source has only three sets left and I have one on the way. Rick told me that the only other car that used them was the Daimler, as mentioned earlier in this trail, and that no one had made any in a while. So it was a matter of finding old stock somewhere and those somewhere's are running out.

So, is a conversion to the Capri calipers the way to go in the future?

skywords

Donation Time
Oh my I just installed my last set today. One posibility is to reline them ourselves. I have done it with antique aircraft brakes by purchsing the lining material at the local truck supply and riveting them myself. I have saved my old back plates for just such an occassion. The Alpine pads are bonded and riveted according to the manual. With modern adhesives it should be no problem. I don't wish to turn my cars into garage Qweens because of brake unavailabilty.

Rick

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
Grinde them pads

I just ground down some pads for my 62 series 2 and they seem to work perfectly fine..

thanks for the advice

Cheers