• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

From start to Finish - Straight back Headers - almost 6 years

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
This was started as a POST to Jim and Bob on another section of our FORUM. Not being to the subject it is moved to here:

You Guys (Jim our PRESIDENT & Bob 65beam) are fast! Over a three year period, three different shops had my '65 SIV GT more than six months each while supposedly building my straightback headers similar to the Tiger system for the 2.8 V6 Cologne engine.

Basically nothing was done by either. After hauling it back home. I sat down in the shop and wanted to have a good cry, but knowing that would not help get them built, I immediately ordered a batch of U-bends, J-bends Donuts and three tube collectors.

In a weeks time I have my first ever set of Custom Straightback Headers.

Now that was indeed a grand accomplishment for a non-welder. Took them to a welding shop to have them tig welded. Nice looking job ! But, when I tried to fit them on the Alpine nothing seemed to work they were like a pretzel from what I had given them.

Had to cut them up in an attempt to get them back to where I had finished.

No Do! Number 10!!! It took me more than a month to get back to where I had started with my 1st set.

After finalizing the 2nd set, a long haul ensued trying to get them fabricated. Time after time I was promised a complete set or multiple sets, but the promise never came true.

Then, I found someone (Company) that took my headers, made a jig (I paid for) and started the fabrication.

As you have heard before, now the rest of the story:)

From start to finish, 2010 - 2016

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
You Guys (Jim our PRESIDENT & Bob 65beam) are fast!

From start to finish, 2010 - 2016

I'll let Bob speak for himself, but "fast"? Issue 16 of the Marque (Winter 2006) has the article I wrote on "Converting the SIV Automatic to a V6". By the time that was published, or shortly thereafter, the car had been sandblasted and delivered to the body shop. To be safe, let's say it went there January of 2007. So: From start to barely started, 2007-2019 and I will be extremely happy if I have the car on the road by 2020! :(