• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Frame repair

67 Tiger

Donation Time
any suggestions on who or how to fix a bent front frame rail? The passenger frame is bent at the wheel arch. It is pushed back 3/4"
Picture 243.jpg

Picture 245.jpg
one pic is of the bent side the other is the good side.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
First go to the best frame shop you can find.Get there advice before attemting anything.They may want the motor and tranny out to do the job.
I have a friend who owns a big shop that caters to mostly big rigs.However they do a lot of cars that need some frame work for our goverment run insurance.This includes the unibodies.It is surprising what they can do.Their reputation is so good truckers from the US will book him when their run comes to Winnipeg.Seems a lot of them are very fussy as to the rig being exactly level.
Good luck

67 Tiger

Donation Time
[]Thanks for the advice. I was looking for something a little more specific. Here's a few more shots of my car

ATTACH]1466[/ATTACH]

Picture 248.jpg

Picture 249.jpg

Picture 250.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 247.jpg
    Picture 247.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 29

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
It's hard to tell from the pix, but was the bodywork repaired previously without straightening the frame? Is there no other damage but that frame?

Ken

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would *not* attempt to fix this at home, unless you're a properly trained frame jockey, and it sounds like you're not. Frame straightening really is an art, and it's best left to the pros. So, although the previous advice might be seen as vague, it really does apply - ask around for the best shop and tust the work to them.

One thing to keep in mind - the factory shop manual does have a detailed chart of all the original frame/body measurements, and this will be critical information for your frame mechanic to get it just right.

The damage you have is not a simple 'prang' that can be pulled out with just a chain and a ram... it's deep in the body structure and there may well be collateral damage you've not seen, but will be found when the measurements are taken and evaluated.

Sownman

Donation Time
I can't see your pictures because my work IT dept blocks them. I assume your SFV location indicates San Fernando Valley in LA. If so try Dale Akuszewski.

He's a quality Tiger restorer in San Bernadino. If he can't do it he can refer.

http://www.dalesresto.com/

Also call Tri-C Engineering in Santa Clarita. 661 295 1550. They do movie cars hot rods and restoration. Ask for Mike Laurence who is a TAC inspector and owns two Tigers. Tell Mike I sent you.

Steve R

67 Tiger

Donation Time
OK I guess I should clarify some points. I am not some dumb kid, I have spent 35 years in commercial construction, where we make installations that have to be "dead on". I have owned my workshop manuel for over 30 years, I have owned this car since 1978, I also own a Chrysler Parts book, that shows that the frame is not one piece of box frame, but instead a piece of channel with a plate welded over it for reinforcement. I know you guys are trying to help, but what I need is someone that has had this prob and how they fixed it. I spoke to Dale A about 15 years ago his fix was to heat, strech, and reinforce. I spoke to Rob Martel ( http://robmartel.shutterfly.com/245 ) His recommendation was to fabricate a new frame rail, cut out the bent one and replace it. I realize the amount of work it will take to attempt this at home, bolting the car to the ground and building brackets and jigs. I have laser levels and plumb bobs, I also have a welding machine and hydraulic tools. And Im not accusing anybody of accusing me of being a dumb kid, just trying to get things like names and places. Just saying "find the best frame shop", Do you have any idea how many shops are in the San Fernando Valley? So which one is the best? Sure I could call everyone and ask if they have ever worked on a Tiger before, if they even know what it is. But I joined this forum so I would not have too. This Sat 7/11 the Tiger Club (CAT) is having a meeting at Bobs, Maybe there will be an answer there. Thanks again.

67 Tiger

Donation Time
I can't see your pictures because my work IT dept blocks them. I assume your SFV location indicates San Fernando Valley in LA. If so try Dale Akuszewski.

He's a quality Tiger restorer in San Bernadino. If he can't do it he can refer.

http://www.dalesresto.com/

Also call Tri-C Engineering in Santa Clarita. 661 295 1550. They do movie cars hot rods and restoration. Ask for Mike Laurence who is a TAC inspector and owns two Tigers. Tell Mike I sent you.

Steve R

Thats what Im talking about. I know about Dale, But not Tri-c Ill call em. Thanks
Yes, SFV, The Valley

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nobody said you were a dumb kid, and I certainly did not mean to imply any such thing. But having done frame repair myself (I used to own a vintage car restoration shop), I've seen my share of butcher jobs. Just trying to prevent a disaster. I'm out.