• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fram Oil Filter

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
That's a pretty large filter (fits most Ford V8s & 6s) for a four cylinder. I did research this many years ago, and I found the '92 Saturn is perfect and me and many owners are using them now.
Jan

Fastback

Donation Time
Al, you are correct; it is the PH 16. (Why I was thinking PH 43 has something to do with too many years of Ford products.)

My oops; I stand corrected.

Wayne

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Interesting that the owners manual does not specify the filter. But if you look it up on Fram's site, it does, indeed show the PH-16. I have also used the PH-43. I think it is just a shorter version of the PH-16.

Tom

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
That's a pretty large filter (fits most Ford V8s & 6s) for a four cylinder.

When I bought my Alpine in 1977 I also owned a Toyota Corolla with the 1600cc 2TC engine. Interestingly, it also used the Fram PH 16 filter, which was very handy at the time.

agmason54

Donation Time
Fram PH 16 oil filter

T'yall
Not that it matters but the size of the PH 16 seems perfect to me.I use the PH16 code to buy a really good filter like NAPA Gold or better yet a Hastings.The Fram PH 16 box used to list Sunbeam Alpine right on it with about 50 other vechicles.
Personally I figure a little extra oil in the motor is a good thing..
If some 'expert' looked under my hood and said my filter was too big I would laugh at them.
Another good thing about memorizing the code is you don't have explain to some kid what a Sunbeam Alpine is everytime you walk into a parts store.

Agm

John Boggis

Donation Time
Guys, I think your going a bit off track... I want to find out what the ORIGINAL Fram oil filter was on a series IV Alpine when it left the factory. The PH16 and the PH 43 are too modern.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
John,
I don't think the PH16 is too modern. I think it was on my SIV. I know my 1960 Ford Falcon used a PH8A. So a few years later to have a PH16 is not unreasonable. I think they are numbered sequentially as they were introduced and there are only a couple of filter numbers between PH8A and PH16

I just realized the "bigger" filter I remember is not the PH16 but the PH8A. The PH16 is very similar in size to the PH43.

Tom

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I recommend the 92 Saturn filter as well as it is a little smaller and I can get my hand around it next to the brake T with the brake light switch.

Get a better brand than fram like Wix or carquest (which are wix)

Good luck.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Parts guy at O'reillys said that Microgard MGL16 is a Chrysler product but whoever has been the producer it's a short black filter, looks Ok, better in my view than the two tone Phram or the white Napa 1307.

But does it look more original...? What did the original look like :)

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Does anybody know the Fram part number for the original oil filter on a series IV ?

John, I may have the answer to your query. I have just found an Intec FB 2059 filter in the original box. It is suitable for Alpines 3, 4, & 5 and is an alternative to a Fram PH 9B. I hope that this is what you need, Tony.

ceecpa

Donation Time
Avoid Fram. The anti-drainback valves are inadequate. Use a Wix, Purolator or Napa equivalent.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
.............The Fram PH 16 box used to list Sunbeam Alpine right on it with about 50 other vechicles..........

True, I can attest to the Sunbeam being listed on the box amongst others. It's the only filter I've ever used on mine and that goes back to the 70's. However I'm going to do some looking and see what was recommended 'originally' since that was the thread question.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Sorry John, I went through all the stuff I have for my Alpine (even an original service booklet for my car) but no mention of the recommended brand of Oil filter. I've had my car since the 70's and most the books I have date back to that time too, since they were only about 8-10 yrs old at the time I figured they'd do the trick.

I gave it a go.....

John Boggis

Donation Time
Sorry John, I went through all the stuff I have for my Alpine (even an original service booklet for my car) but no mention of the recommended brand of Oil filter. I've had my car since the 70's and most the books I have date back to that time too, since they were only about 8-10 yrs old at the time I figured they'd do the trick.

I gave it a go.....

Thanks to both yourself and Tony Perrett for trying to get to the bottom of this oil filter mystery.
Here's where i am at the moment. First, I have found out that the filters were painted black...in the Sunbeam Alpine workshop manual it states the Fram filter FF42378 and I'm assuming the FF means full flow.
In the parts manual it shows the filter with a nut on top (see pic below) and finally I have found an old Fram filter but it has no reference number on it.(see pic below)

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Have any verifiable data to substantiate that claim?

Many people that have run the fram on the rootes engine have have had ratta tat tat on startup since all the oil in the filter drains back to the sump and the half quart of oil takes a bit to build pressure.

Not a new problem.

Most applications have the filter on its side so only half its volume drains back, with the rootes, it usually all drains back, just takes a bit of time.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, for what it's worth... I have consulted my 1985 Fram Master Catalog and the Rootes parts manual and discovered the following (there is a Rootes Part Number -to- Fram cross reference in the Fram book):

Rootes # -- Fram # -- Description

K-24477 -- CH820PL -- filter element (for the earlier canister filters)

5041315 -- PH16 -- full-flow cartridge-type filter (disposable)​

And the Sunbeam parts book *does* specify using the FRAM element, and notes this was used on "SIII from B9204718 S/Top, B9203887 G.T. and B9250157 C.K.D. S/Africa and Series IV".

The Fram catalog also states that the PH16 does have an anti-drainback valve.

The only other possible filter in the Fram catalog that has a nut on the end of it, like the one you pictured, is PH28A. The differences between the two are:

PH16 -- relief valve setting 8-10 psi -- OD= 3 5/8" -- Height= 3 11/16"
PH28A -- relief valve setting 7-9 psi -- OD= 3" -- Height= 4 13/16" (n/nut)

The PH28A is listed as fitting John Deere AM-34770; Kohler 277233; Onan 122A323, 122B323, 1220323; Tennant 56845.

FWIW, the entire Rootes-to-Fram filter part number conversion table is as follows:

Rootes # -- Fram #
1228080 -- PH8A
5038483 -- CA641PL
5041315 -- PH16 (later Alpine/Rapier oil filter)
5042621 -- PH8A
6100448 -- PH8A (Tiger oil filter)
7011192 -- CH2807 (Imp oil filter)
K-22100 -- CH822PL
K-22150 -- CH822PL
K-23855 -- CH820PL (early Alpine/Rapier oil filter)
K-33052 -- CH836PL1
P-116243 -- PS826