• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Forum Alert

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Anyone receiving somewhat threatening PM's from the "Forum Administration" about detecting a virus and instructions to go to a virus detection site? I figure it is a scam of some sort, just not sound like something one of our Administrators would send.

Bill

malee30

Donation Time
alert

Yes just received one myself, looks very dodgy so I deleted it. I wouldnt advise going to the directed web site :eek:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I got it too, but since it said forum administrators, I opened it and got the worst physhing virus you can imagine. I had to send my computer to the shop to have it re formatted. I{m still experiencing a bit of trouble, because I can{t make an apostrophy or the at symbol. The technician will have to fix that too.

Whatever you do, DO NOT CLICK ON THE ADDRESS!!!

jOSE

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
If anyone sees an email like this please do not act on anything.
Always go to our Forum to find information. If something is up we will post information from our site direct to you and watch for updates.

I battle spam and content on our site every day. I hope that we can keep our users safe from spam and other "dodgy" posts.

It looks like someone if looking through our site for information and trying to get access to us. If you start to receive all kinds of spam etc and it looks like it is from the SAOCA, I would ask that you go to your User CP and change your setting so that you do not accept emails to your personal email address.

I received this email late last night so I understand what has been received.

I will post more information to the forum if there is any action required.

Regards,
Andrew Masse

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Andrew, these are coming in as Personal Messages. Even have the SAOCA layout and colors. It pops up when you log onto the board, I think that is why Jose took the bait.

Bill

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I have received 2 of these PM's. The strange thing is I actually had the virus related to these people. I think it was a Trojan caught from Webshots.

Anyway, I assumed someone must know about it because the sender account status shows up as "banned". Seems they then try a new account name, always using some variation of ForumModerator, ForumTeam, ModeratorTeam, etc... Then the message title is something like "Important Message from your Forum Admin..."

AS OTHERS HAVE STATED: DON"T CLICK ON THE LINKS IN THESE PM's! I do not think you can get anything by merely opening the PM, but you could be doubly safe and just delete them without even opening them.

I attached a jpeg of the message.

Attachments

• Trojan PM.jpg
    Trojan PM.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 34

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
I have received 2 of these PM's. The strange thing is I actually had the virus related to these people. I think it was a Trojan caught from Webshots.

Anyway, I assumed someone must know about it because the sender account status shows up as "banned". Seems they then try a new account name, always using some variation of ForumModerator, ForumTeam, ModeratorTeam, etc... Then the message title is something like "Important Message from your Forum Admin..."

AS OTHERS HAVE STATED: DON"T CLICK ON THE LINKS IN THESE PM's! I do not think you can get anything by merely opening the PM, but you could be doubly safe and just delete them without even opening them.

I attached a jpeg of the message.

Yes, they have been banned and we have taken other steps in order to stop their access. During the next little while please take care and check back on the forum for more information.

Regards,
Andrew

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I came oh-so-close to clicking on the PM link.

Since many of don't normally go to this section first, I strongly suggest a warning topic be added ASAP to all sections of the forum and maybe the home page, too.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I have to ask, nearly all these idiots have their profile set to bogus yet consistent info which has nothing to do with what you would expect for a legit profile.

Cant the forum SW at least tag these folks that they need "qualified" prior to allowing them to post or PM?

Biography=Man or 1 is a sure giveaway.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
So very early this morning I got this scam message before an alert was given. Since it came to me as a PM I unknowingly clicked on the link and am now getting pop-ups every 45 seconds to purchase Security Tool software. How do I get rid of this?

Thanks, Mark

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Did some research and found that this beast has been making the round for several weeks and lots of forums have been attacked.

FWIW, a tracert to www.security-tool2010.com goes to 115.100.250.109 which is in China.

Several security sites have suggestions for removal, but this one is straightforward and free:

http://www.softsailor.com/how-to/13...ternet-security-2010-virus-removal-guide.html

Don't want this to happen again? First, stop using any version of Internet Explorer for web browsing. All of the browsers have some issues, but IE uses Active-X controls which are a security disaster looking for a place to happen. Second, install a GOOD anti-malware program. I use Kaspersky Internet Security, but there are others that work just as well.

Using a Mac or running Linux (are you laughing Bill Blue?) is an effective solution since the bad guys go after the low hanging fruit and that is Windows + Internet Explorer.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mark,

It hasn´t started to shut down your computer and restart it again yet? I took mine it to the shop and had it re formated. I wish I´d had the link Barry just gave. Would have saved me money.

Jose

So very early this morning I got this scam message before an alert was given. Since it came to me as a PM I unknowingly clicked on the link and am now getting pop-ups every 45 seconds to purchase Security Tool software. How do I get rid of this?

Thanks, Mark

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Given the legit-looking PM received earlier, how do know you're really "Barry" and that your link isn't also a virus-in-disguise?

Chinese origin, eh? I think we Sunbeam owners know who's behind this. It's obviously the work of that evil mastermind The Claw ("That's Craw, not Craw, CRAW!")

Did some research and found that this beast has been making the round for several weeks and lots of forums have been attacked.

FWIW, a tracert to www.security-tool2010.com goes to 115.100.250.109 which is in China.

Several security sites have suggestions for removal, but this one is straightforward and free:

http://www.softsailor.com/how-to/13...ternet-security-2010-virus-removal-guide.html

Don't want this to happen again? First, stop using any version of Internet Explorer for web browsing. All of the browsers have some issues, but IE uses Active-X controls which are a security disaster looking for a place to happen. Second, install a GOOD anti-malware program. I use Kaspersky Internet Security, but there are others that work just as well.

Using a Mac or running Linux (are you laughing Bill Blue?) is an effective solution since the bad guys go after the low hanging fruit and that is Windows + Internet Explorer.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
...Cant the forum SW at least tag these folks that they need "qualified" prior to allowing them to post or PM?
Biography=Man or 1 is a sure giveaway.

I really don't know the answer to that. Presently (the way its configured), I get emails anytime there is a new registrant, but I'm not given a decision to approve or disapprove. So, I have to quickly log into the forum control panel (every morning when I'm drinking my first coffee) to band these morons. On the average, I see about 4-5 new registrations per day and about 90% is spam.
(The name "Man" and "1" is a sure giveaway, yes, no doubt. And about 75% of them have gmail.com addresses. If you don't want to be targeted as spam, don't use a gmail.com addess)
Jan