• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Flocked Dash.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The alpine s3 didn't have a flocked dash ( flocking is the process used on the inside of the glovebox cubby) the series 3 sports touer did have a textured finished wrinkle finish in black and was the only model to do so.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Michael,

Thanks for the reply. The only part of my car that was decent when I got it was the dash. It must have been protected from the elements for the most part. Other than some fading, minor stains and wear marks around the switches, I'd say it held up very well. It was definitely original and definitely flocked. In the before picture, it may be hard to tell. The original fibers seemed to be finer than what I got from "Flock It", but I'm very happy with the way it came out. I'm not an originality freak, but if you are, you may want to see if you could find some finer factory flocking fibers (say that 5 times fast!)

Any other S3 ST owners have any flocking comments?

Mike

Attachments

• Original Dash.jpg
    Original Dash.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Reflocked1.jpg
    Reflocked1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Reflocked2.jpg
    Reflocked2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 101

alpine_64

Donation Time
Mike you must have one if the few non broken late sii/ s3 heating control escutcheons.... Dash has come up nicely.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
As mentioned, the dash was the only decent part of the car when I got it, including the un-broken escutcheon.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wtf

Or , what the flock :) Okay kidding aside is the cigar lighter pictured in the dashboard a early Alpine one? I got one in a pile from a Tiger guy and have seen one other. Its a cool piece mfg by CASCO.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Or , what the flock :) Okay kidding aside is the cigar lighter pictured in the dashboard a early Alpine one? I got one in a pile from a Tiger guy and have seen one other. Its a cool piece mfg by CASCO.
That's not one of the early series factory lighters, it appears to be a USA sourced part, the early cars had either a smiths lighter, looks like a black cupboard knob with a small indent or the similar casco before they went to the chrime collar casco as found on series 3 to end of production

65beam

Donation Time
dash

the casco lighter shown does not have the knob that was used in series alpines. i recently bought a casco that was installed in an mgb and it has an almost identical knob to the sunbeam factory part. the lighter in question could be a dealer installed item since casco lighters were used in other british marques and it was rare to find a dealer that only sold sunbeams. I have one that looks the same that was in the red le mans when i bought it close to 35 years ago. the thing is that when the 68 models went on sale you could go to a sunbeam dealer and buy an element with either a black knob or a chrome knob. both had Chrysler/Rootes part numbers. at least it's not a lucas lighter.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Yep, I'd say that is the same one on E-bay. It's a pretty nice looking piece - I like the looks better than some of the black plastic ones.

Flock on Warren!

Mike

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Mike, the dash looks great. Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but the trick to remaining one of the few S3s with an intact heater escutcheon is to leave those mounting screws fairly loose. I put my repro escutcheon on so that the screws *just* touched it. I could still wriggle the escutcheon about a little.

Cheers,
Paul.