• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fitting new rubber gaskets on a hardtop

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a SeriesV with a hardtop the gaskets that are original are dry rotted to hell I ordered new stuff from SS. The corner pads (original) were trimmed there is a u channel that is pop rivited about 4 inches long that I think I will have to remove and reinstall. Rick told me that my hardtop is an earlier one that had a foam seal at the back and sides that is not available. He told me the seal he sells will work. Any help from someone who has done this conversion would be helpful.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I think Gordon is reffering to the change in seal during the series 3-V hardtops where they went from a softer sponge construction seal to a cupped blade seal around the base of the hardtop.

The u channel he is talking about maybe the retaining plate that holds the corner pads?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
That is new to me about the two versions. Are they both look-a-likes? I have three hardtops all of which are the same. Or at least I think they are the same. I see no difference.

Can anyone provide some pictures of the differences?

Here's a PIC of one of mine undergoing restoration. All are the same as this one as far as shape and fitment. The rubber pieces and brackets I purchased from SS fit either of them.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Alpine 3819 New Chrome Wires - 1725 SV Eng - Dipped Hardtop   20190318_170449 (3).jpg
    Alpine 3819 New Chrome Wires - 1725 SV Eng - Dipped Hardtop 20190318_170449 (3).jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 21

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have 3 hard tops, and I’ll be danged if I can see a difference between any of them, apart from the amount of rust. I’d also like to see photos of the differences!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Puff, The one on my Blue Boy came new on the B94100 3810 Alpine SIV ST OD Code 70. It was purchased in England as a 1965 by my friend Kirby. I am the 2d owner having made the purchase from Him in 1980.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I can’t say when mine were made, apart from the one that came new with my car (1967 SV, B395015623).

65beam

Donation Time
Look at the difference in side window latches and channel for rear and side body seal along with the early seal. Good luck on finding an early top with original body seal. Other than that they look the same.;)

alpine_64

Donation Time
An orignal series V top will also have the little brackets for the softtop bag straps.

As for the side window cathes, the brackets and pivots were the same but there was a change in the buttons from small to large in an attempt to reduce the crazing of the perspex

65beam

Donation Time
Here's the difference. The major difference was in the body seal. Yes' there were two sizes of the window buttons. There were hard tops that had the normal three sections of channel for the body seal and there were also tops that had five sections of seal channel. The channel at the corners in the pad area ran at an angel instead of butting up square or stopping at the pad. This required a different corner pad due to the two short pieces of channel. These five piece channel tops used the one piece seal and the one with three channels used the three piece seal. Years ago CAT made some of the different corner pads along with the one piece seal. Haven't seen one in years. I had one top with these five channels but when Doug restored the top we used three channels. The one piece seal was NLA from all suppliers. As I said, with the rust factor the chance of finding a top with the five piece channel 50+ years later is very slim to nothing. Especially since very few know there was a difference.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here's the difference. The major difference was in the body seal. Yes' there were two sizes of the window buttons. There were hard tops that had the normal three sections of channel for the body seal and there were also tops that had five sections of seal channel. The channel at the corners in the pad area ran at an angel instead of butting up square or stopping at the pad. This required a different corner pad due to the two short pieces of channel. These five piece channel tops used the one piece seal and the one with three channels used the three piece seal. Years ago CAT made some of the different corner pads along with the one piece seal. Haven't seen one in years. I had one top with these five channels but when Doug restored the top we used three channels. The one piece seal was NLA from all suppliers. As I said, with the rust factor the chance of finding a top with the five piece channel 50+ years later is very slim to nothing. Especially since very few know there was a difference.
Bob thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea that there were two different seals for hard tops mine is a five piece
channel version I think I have to remove the two short sections to fit the three piece seal. The corner pads have different holes for the screws so it appears to be a small modification

66blues

Donation Time
I’m dealing with this same dilemma with my hard top. I believe the simple answer is to remove the corner gasket tracks, to better accommodate the new corner pads. This will create a better and more secure seating of the gasket on the sides and along the back of the top.