• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

"Firing" Stroke

johnd

Donation Time
Is the #1 piston in the "firing position" when it is at TDC for the "compression stroke (i.e., at the completion of the compression stroke)"? I'm attempting to find TDC using a vacuum gauge procedure I found on you-tube (which seems to be pretty nifty) but I'm a little confused (doesn't take much) with the terminology. Thanks.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Is the #1 piston in the "firing position" when it is at TDC for the "compression stroke (i.e., at the completion of the compression stroke)"? I'm attempting to find TDC using a vacuum gauge procedure I found on you-tube (which seems to be pretty nifty) but I'm a little confused (doesn't take much) with the terminology. Thanks.

Just curious about the vac guage method, tell me more.

Is there a reason you cant find TDC with the timing marks ?

johnd

Donation Time
Beamdream - BTW the reason for me doing so was to verify the proper installation of my timing gears.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
If you really want to find an accurate TDC, use a piston stop. I made one by knocking the porcelain from an old spark-plug, welding a nut to the top and grinding the head of an appropriate bolt more or less round. Screw the bolt into the nut welded to the plug, Screw the plug into the spark plug hole on number 1 cylinder. Turn the engine until piston stops because it hits the stop. Make a mark on the front pulley. Turn the engine the other direction until it stops. Mark that. TDC is half way between the marks.

To fine tune it, loosen the piston stop, do it again. Will post a picture of my piston stop tomorrow.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
John, as to the 35 degrees advance: Are you sure it is 35? What kind of timing light are you using? The fancy "dial your timing" lights can be very confusing.

Bill