1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Firewall

Discussion in 'Modified Alpine' started by PROCRAFT, Oct 9, 2019.

1. PROCRAFT

PROCRAFT Gold Level Sponsor

Firewall IMG_20191009_144815053.jpg

2. 260Alpine

260Alpine Silver Level Sponsor

Joel, Thanks! I plan on doing the same.

3. Barry

Barry Bronze Level Sponsor

Between adding the firewall and getting rid of the fuel crossover tube, a lot of Pinto is eliminated. The firewall probably also adds a lot of torsional stiffness to the back half of the unibody. Can a standard soft top still be fitted?

4. PROCRAFT

We'll find out !

5. DanR

DanR Diamond Level Sponsor

20170718_192236.jpg 20170718_182456.jpg Joel, That is some nice work! A firewall between the Gas tanks and the passenger compartment is a necessary ingredient as I see it. Pure safety!

As to the question Barry asked....But I do not believe you will get the soft top to lay down with the way yours is designed.

I went a different route so that I could hide a way the soft top.....

6. PROCRAFT

Well like I said we'll find out, it'll be just like the Honda if it doesn't. Either way it makes no difference to me.

7. Barry

Barry Bronze Level Sponsor

Dan,

How much rearward bulge does your "upper trunk firewall" have? Does it provide adequate room for a standard soft top? Is interference with the top of the spare tire an issue?

8. DanR

DanR Diamond Level Sponsor

Barry, I tried to match the curtain as close as possible with my sheet metal. Wanted to have a bit of extra room for insulation or padding for protection to the soft top fabric.

The spare fits real close to the sheet metal curtain/firewall, but it works well.

I have modified the spare tire well on two of my Alpines because of the wider tires (6 & 7") I run which I had to adjust (use a longer) the spare tire bolt for my wider wheels.

Here is a PIC of the modified tire well.

Attached Files: