• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Finned Alpine in Washington

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Nick,From the PIC it looks like a solid Early:) If no rust it would be a good buy.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
That looks like a state assigned chassis plate with the special rivets, used for cars with no ID. Strange place to put it though....

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
That is a California state ID. Put on for many reasons and a now real one is not having two ID numbers on entry into California on a bill of sale. I have seen one Tiger with the B947XXXX as the new stamped number. Later in the 70's it was a FMVSS regulation to have it visible from the outside of the car. The door jamb was the second place they like to put it behind the originals location.

65beam

Donation Time
Warren,
Was this plate installed only if the original VIN tag was missing or did California add this if the car was brought from another state? I've bought two Beams in California and neither had added numbers or letters or anything like this plate. I've bought numerous cars from other east coast states and D.C. and all had titles.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
My blue car's plate was lost in restoration and when I had to transfer title I had to take it to a State inspection station where they went all over the car. Took an hour. When they came yo the waiting area they had already put the Arizona VIN plate in it. I had no input where to place it.

65beam

Donation Time
The procedure in Ohio is still so easy. Buy a car in another state, take it to either the local BMV / license bureau or a local new car dealer and they sign the form that says the VIN number on the VIN plate matches the VIN number on the paper work. No other inspections of any kind are done.Take that verification form to the local title office , pay the sales tax based on what you show as purchase price along with the 15.00 title fee and they make you an Ohio title. Walk next door and buy your license plates.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I understand the process to be:javascript:void(null);pl
Either a car coming into California on a bill of sale or a car out of CA. DMV system has gotten a secondary VIN tag. I know of a couple of cars that had their tags removed and relocated by a DPO and the original tag got confiscated and a state id applied. My understanding is first hand knowledge and personal contact with buyers that had the tag applied. The subject was what the heck was the tag. If you want easy go to Vermont and they just want money for old car and don't issue a title for vehicles over 25 years old, that's why its one of the "title washing" states. There was a Tiger for sale recently from Va. it looked to have been a Tiger that was flooded. It went from a Va. antique plate to a dealer that then had Vt. tag applied while still in Va. The car also showed a pile of receipts consistent with an insurance job. Just saying that state ID's might be a good idea especially on a car easy to swap tags on .

65beam

Donation Time
Yes, my question was concerning the extra tag. We don't have to deal with things like this. The advantages and simple ways of doing things that we have here in the foot hills of the Appalachians make life so simple and easy. The facts are, just think how much money could be saved if the country of California did away with all the mumbo jumbo and went the easy simple way.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
If there was a secondary VIN on the car's, "not counting Alpines with number stamped motors,"
It would fall into the usual inspect and issue. The Arizona member says his plate was lost and they put on one. That sounds better than the fear mongering of some who say gov't types like to crush cars with altered or missing VINs. I won't name the website.
Many cars have the VIN on the driver's door jamb. I think 71 or two also required it to be visible on dash or from outside of the driver's side. Seems pretty simple checking VIN matches plate from outside of the car. After I was lucky enough to get a stolen car back I engraved the VIN on many hidden areas.
When I referred to title washing it was a insurance flood victim car passed off as a legit car with out disclosure of the sinking. Sure I think the Tiger could and should have been saved but not more modern cars that may be only 26 years old. It's not a matter of saving money at the gov't level it's about slowing down bad guy's.