• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Filter element

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

There is a K&N filter element, part number E-2859 that is suited to the Tiger. Can someone tell me if that particular element suits the original AC filter or the aluminium 'Tiger' embossed filter? The two filters use different size elements.

Thank you, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Rob,

The K&N filter is a round one that you squeeze into shape.. they fit the stock one and should probably fit the after market one you have..

That said.. i would run the deep one you had on the aftermarket tiger one.. it will be better than the K&N, the K&N will not really offer you anything over the one you had.. i would prefer a deeper filter and more air in there than the "added flow" of the K&N.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Michael,

The trouble is that the base plate for the aluminium Tiger air cleaner does not fit on to the Edelbrock carburettor (the ring that mates to the carburettor is machined too low). The AC filter assembly has a bigger element also :( . I have a feeling that an air cleaner spacer will not allow me to run Tiger air cleaner as well. The K&N element is the same height as my current stock AC element unless they make a deeper one.

Regards, Robin.

agmason

Donation Time
A generic 14" round air filter can be stretched to fit the original fixture. It may be deeper by a inch so you may have to check hood clearence. Acutally, the generic filter flows more air than the K&N replacement.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I did a bit of searching and I found a couple of suppliers that have an 1/4" air cleaner spacer. I do like the look of the AC and Tiger air cleaners better than the after market stuff. I will have to do some research on suitable elements for the Tiger assembly.

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Tiger aluminium air cleaner

Hi,

I visited four auto parts suppliers today to try and find a replacement filter element and do you think I could find one :( . For those with the Tiger style air cleaners, does anyone know of a supplier? They are a weird size at 13.5" (round style element).

Thank you, Robin.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Try National Parts Depot. Go to www.npdlink.com go to the Mustang online catalog and page 116 in the catalog. The filters fit the 14" unit so I would guess they'd be less than 14" diameter. They also have the K&N units.

64beam

Donation Time
Try National Parts Depot. Go to www.npdlink.com go to the Mustang online catalog and page 116 in the catalog. The filters fit the 14" unit so I would guess they'd be less than 14" diameter. They also have the K&N units.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link. As it's looking at the moment, I may have to go off shore to find one. The Tiger air cleaner requires a 13.5" element, so they are not common. To buy the K&N equivalent will cost AU$120+.

Regards, Robin.

bluoval

Donation Time
k&n

hi robin changed to a k&n seem to remember the cost was about $50 us. with an oil kit. earl blu oval

64beam

Donation Time
hi robin changed to a k&n seem to remember the cost was about $50 us. with an oil kit. earl blu oval

Hi Earl,

I just ordered one last week and paid about US$47 without the oil though (can get it in Aus fairly cheap though). It should be on its way to me as we speak.

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
'Tiger' embossed air cleaner

Hi,

I know the 'Tiger' lettered air cleaners are fairly rare, but I managed to find the correct size air cleaner off the shelf. It is a Ryco air cleaner element (paper style), part number A37 and is approximately 13" in diameter. The auto store has them listed at AU$27, but I have found one for less. I don't know if AC Delco make an equivalent, but I'm glad they are available.

Regards,Robin.

Hit it til it fits

Donation Time
I see this is an old thread, but I thought I'd chime in. I just got a Tiger that had been parked for about 20 years. The air filter Element on it has "NAPA 2100" stamped on it. I just ordered a new one from NAPA online, it should arrive tomorrow, about $30 including shipping.
J Lemon

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
For 25 more could have gotten a K&N :)
If you are looking for an original AC housing LMK. Be sold out then no more or the remaining inventory of 20 something will go to Sunbeam Specialties .

Hit it til it fits

Donation Time
I've got the original housing. The car came with a hi po 289, rebuilt in the late 90s and the original 260 is included with the car. I thought about a K&N, but when I saw that NAPA still had the same number, I thought what the heck.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Sunbeam Specialties sells one for a little less. IDK how many guys don't re oil their K&N's when I see a white one I tell em it gets so hot the oiling needs to happen more often. Many use the housing for a tool tray or ,
Hit it till it fits if you know what I mean ;)

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well, I have a question on the original Tiger air cleaners. I would like to buy a repo air cleaner, but my question is will it fit on a Holley 4-barrel carb? I have a 750cfm Holley and I don't want to buy one if it doesn't fit, you know what I'm saying.
Thanks
Jan

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
It will fit the carb off the car .
On the car the out board edges can often contact the hood.
Manifold type spacers as well as motor mounts can effect the fit. The K&N the p/n 2859 is rated for a stock 260. There's one's with the same diameter yet taller like Rick's paper one. Please PM me if you ring me.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have the Edelbrock Performer RPM complete package including heads & manifold. With the engine in the car and the Holley carb installed...it's looking pretty high to me. The carb's vent tube (highest part) is about level with the hood latch pan (on top of the inner scuttle). I haven't installed the hood yet for the final clearance check, but I'm concerned about.
Jan

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Okay let me see if I get you straight there's no problem with the bottom plate of the air cleaner housing fitting your carburetor 100%. With the small exception of sometimes a vent will contact the plate but since you can do what you want with it you can take the hammer to it or put in a small divot or do some other tweak.
If you have an LAT hood you can close it very lightly with an air cleaner on there and see if it contacts the outside edges by looking underneath or using a foil ball Play-Doh or flour water and salt mixed into a putty..

The reason why the cast aluminum tiger scripted valve cover look-alike non-stock non-LAT option one was popular is that it can be taller and not extend outboard as much as the stock filter. The further outboard you go that's where your contact will be. I've had F4Bs with one and had to use the smaller 260 rated filter which is like an inch and a quarter inch and a half ish. Currently I have a Weiand and stealth and I got all kinds of room.. I can take a picture when I get home if you would like but if you're going to put an LAT hood on just looking up under that scoop is the easy button.