• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fiberglass top Harrington?

Hodee

Donation Time
Someone has posted a "barn find" of a Mk1a Tiger and a "Harrington " of some sort with a fiberglass top. these were in storage for 30 years and are very rough. What can anyone tell me about the fiberglass/Harrington. Is it a kit car? Cheap make up project? Or something real? Thx

Hodee

Donation Time
Started to read the story but found out this top is removeable. Did not see any mention of such being produced.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Started to read the story but found out this top is removeable. Did not see any mention of such being produced.
Have you got a link? Astro in the usa made a removable fibreglass fastback for s3-v. You have to take off trumk lid to fit. Larry reed used one on his w/4 mile tiger.

Astro%20Top%20Tiger%20Photo%20-%20700w.jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a very nasty experience with a "FIND" back in early '90's....

The owner of a Salvage Yard wanted a large area cleared for more car storage and this "FIND" was in the pathway to be cleared.

While I was making my rounds with the Bulldozer, I spotted a "Red Oddity" something or other in a bunch of weeds, brush and mostly briars.

Curiosity got the best of me so I eased over a few times a bit closer and closer until I could "rake-a-way the briars, brush and weeds for a better look.

Can you guess my surprise when I was able to see clearly a Sunbeam Alpine that rather large rear window that slanted down in the back. Not sure at the time I had ever seen one!

Red in colour with wire wheels! I immediately recognized it as a Sunbeam very similar to my '65 SIV's at home.

Having to work, I keep going, but my desire to toake a better look got the best of me! Stopped the D6, made a note of the time and started pulling away all the briars and weeds, the door opened eaisly enough, and the interior was all black with those little red edges like in my GT. Nice steering wheel too! Just dirty and dusty from being outside for a few years. Dash pad was a bit cracked, a bit of rust showed on the rockers, not dents but some scratches.

Couldn't stand waiting to see the owner of the yard, a gent I had know several years. Asked him if He would sell me that Lil Red car in the briar patch, Nope, I can't, was the answer.

OK! Went back to work on the D6. A few hours later I asked again, making an offer of $500. Nope, I can't!
Upped the offer to $1K, Nope, I can't.

Finished work that day and asked again, no deal!

Back the next morning early, offered 1500... no deal.

During all the time I was there a Crusher was a t work crushing cars of all sorts. The price of metal was up a few dollars and it was enticing for the owner to get rid of some to turn around vehicles that had been stripped.

Before leaving that day I again offered the Owner $2K or around that figure(?) Can't really remember or just plain don't want to, But, arriving there the next morning I saw that the lil Red Sunbeam was gone, nothing but some brush, briars and weeds and traces of where it last sat!

Needless to say another of Rootes creations was gone forever. I am very sorry I did not get the info from the Data Plate.

I had a few words with the Owner, a former friend, loaded the D6 on the lowboy and headed for home! To this day I have not figured why it was crushed. The Owner's Son is a friend and when we have time to discuss the lil Red Sunbeam He apologizes for what his Dad did, With out ever telling his son why!

It was of this style with the rear looking like my SIV's
only RED in Colour.
HD2.JPG

A Chrysler dealer that could have been the seller closed shop late '99 and I have tried to get info on the former business with out success.

65beam

Donation Time
Dan's photo is a series D Harrington conversion. Here's a photo of some of my Harrington dealer brochures. Bottom left is the Harrington Alpine, next to it is the LeMans. The top ones are series C and series D. The photo of the red car is my LeMans, the white one is the wife's current LeMans project and a right hand drive car.

Attachments

• 105_0009.JPG
    105_0009.JPG
    312.6 KB · Views: 16
  • PTDC0076.JPG
    PTDC0076.JPG
    343.7 KB · Views: 15

Hodee

Donation Time
I spoke with the guy today and he confirmed it is a fiberglass removable top with a very large lexan window. The Alpine is red. The other car is a tiger with a decent body and a 289 on a stand. Both stored indoors for 20 years and then outside 10 years but with layers of various coverings. I would hate to see these crushed which may happen if nothing is done in a month or so as I'm told. Many parts included as well as neither car is running or completely assembled. These are in Portland Texas near Corpus Christie.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I spoke with the guy today and he confirmed it is a fiberglass removable top with a very large lexan window. The Alpine is red. The other car is a tiger with a decent body and a 289 on a stand. Both stored indoors for 20 years and then outside 10 years but with layers of various coverings. I would hate to see these crushed which may happen if nothing is done in a month or so as I'm told. Many parts included as well as neither car is running or completely assembled. These are in Portland Texas near Corpus Christie.

Get down there with some cash and a tailer.