• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fiberglass copy of Factory Hardtop

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Wow. Could these really be that nice? I had a fiberglass hardtop (Dyna something). It was the same overall shape. But not even close on fit and finish, and no side windows.

I have two factory hardtops. Geeze. If I knew these existed, I probably never would have done the one for the Alpine, and done this instead.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Wow. Could these really be that nice? I had a fiberglass hardtop (Dyna something). It was the same overall shape. But not even close on fit and finish, and no side windows.

I have two factory hardtops. Geeze. If I knew these existed, I probably never would have done the one for the Alpine, and done this instead.

Jay you probably had a dynaplastics top.

The honeybourne site uses factory topd in the photos... Deceptive.

The fg ones dont have pivot Windows, they use j hook fateners and have no rear pins. They use a thick seal around the back. The side window area is thicker and rhey have a flocked intrior not a trimmed headlining.

They are not bad.. And with work can make look more factory. They should use photos of THEIR product.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Fiberglass Hardtops that look Original

Honeybourne Mouldings now sell their products in the US. So if you are looking for a late hardtop, they are available in CA through Mini Mania. Got this response from them when I sent an email:

"These tops are handmade in the UK. Price is $989.95 plus truck freight to your door. Keep in mind that truck shipping to commercial addresses is a much cheaper than residential rates. Lead times right now put these into mid January for delivery to us. These are special order items and as such they are non-returnable. Full deposits are taken when ordered.

The tops come complete with rear Perspex screen and all weather seals. The tops are available in White or Black Gelcoat finish.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to contact me".

Thank you.

-Brendan MacRae

Mini Mania, Inc.
870 Gold Flat Road
Suite A
Nevada City, CA 95959
USA
MiniMania.com

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Quote: "These are special order items and as such they are non-returnable. Full deposits are taken when ordered". Unquote

Rick, Thanks for the info... However, the above quote would make me a bit skittish!

Alpine66

Donation Time
Jay you probably had a dynaplastics top.

The honeybourne site uses factory topd in the photos... Deceptive.

The fg ones dont have pivot Windows, they use j hook fateners and have no rear pins. They use a thick seal around the back. The side window area is thicker and rhey have a flocked intrior not a trimmed headlining.

They are not bad.. And with work can make look more factory. They should use photos of THEIR product.

Trying to figure out which fiberglass top I have, it came with the car. What is fg?

midage55

Silver Level Sponsor
I just received a new top thru mini mania......got it unboxed and placed it on the car ,,,,,for the money ....5 months build time on the top....England built...its workable.......needs to be fitted and .......I'm happy...I got a top that's better than the old semi warped parrish top that came with the car when I purchased as boxes of parts......moving forward again.....chris pictures soon

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Please POST some nice PIC's of the top as received and as you progress through finishing the installation....

midage55

Silver Level Sponsor
Please POST some nice PIC's of the top as received and as you progress through finishing the installation....
will do .......hey I have paid my dues for this year......but I'm still showing as a non payer......pictures for the top will be attempted tomorrow....

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
will do .......hey I have paid my dues for this year......but I'm still showing as a non payer......pictures for the top will be attempted tomorrow....
How and when did you make payment? Send me a PM and I'll get with Eric G our Membership Dir

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Parrish top can be made to fit, it is fiberglass, after all. The biggest problem is rubber for the side windows. The original style is no longer available and the replacement just isn't right. Right now, I'm using first generation Focus door seal. Junkyard cheap. Not perfect, but it is now weather proof.

Bill

midage55

Silver Level Sponsor
I just received a new top thru mini mania......got it unboxed and placed it on the car ,,,,,for the money ....5 months build time on the top....England built...its workable.......needs to be fitted and .......I'm happy...I got a top that's better than the old semi warped parrish top that came with the car when I purchased as boxes of parts......moving forward again.....chris pictures soon

Attachments

• 20190310_183546.jpg
    20190310_183546.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 20190310_183552.jpg
    20190310_183552.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 20190310_183606.jpg
    20190310_183606.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 20190310_183844.jpg
    20190310_183844.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 20190310_183851 (1).jpg
    20190310_183851 (1).jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 83

midage55

Silver Level Sponsor
The Parrish top can be made to fit, it is fiberglass, after all. The biggest problem is rubber for the side windows. The original style is no longer available and the replacement just isn't right. Right now, I'm using first generation Focus door seal. Junkyard cheap. Not perfect, but it is now weather proof.

Bill
my parrish top on the side is very warped,,,almost looks like someone repaired it...it bows in like 2 inches...I just posted pics of the new top....

Fergusonic

Donation Time
I bet the fiberglass was not cured when they crated/packed and shipped it; thus, it warped. Possibly a buck could be made to lash it down to and warp it back to fitment shape.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
my parrish top on the side is very warped,,,almost looks like someone repaired it...it bows in like 2 inches...I just posted pics of the new top....
Mine was too. I straightened it by using a spreader bar and heat. After several years of use, it still wants to bend in and requires a metal strip to hold it place while installed. Without the metal strip, it is very difficult to keep a good side window seal. I install the spreader bar whenever the top is off the car. Others have reported the same problem.

Your new top looks great. I really like it. Keep us informed as to how fitment goes. One thing I really like about the Parrish top is that installation (after custom fitting) takes only a minute or so and its water tight.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill Blue: How about a picture of your "Metal Strip" and the installed "Spreader Bar" .
Very problematic, but I'll see. My computer skills were never very good and were deteriorating prior to my meningitis/fall/stroke last summer. Now I cannot even load pictures into my computer. My currant operating system does not use screen prompts, which combined with my crappy short term memory, leaves me dead in the water. If I am able to do something, I cannot remember how I did it or how to return to the previous page. Very frustrating. My wife can take pictures with her phone and load them onto the website, but she is very busy with her stuff and I hate to ask for help when I know I should be able to do it myself.

At times I feel I am just one operating system "upgrade" away from going completely offline. They seem to get progressively more opaque.

Bill