• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fasteners questions

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
I have two questions regarding fasteners for my '67 Alpine

1. How does one get underneath the stud nearest the door to tighten it. There seems to be no access. This is the stud that the softtop and tonneau cover connects to. Mine is loose and needs to be tightened down. It must screw into some kind of nut.

2. I am about to replace the rotten strap that holds my spare tire secure. I thought the screws securing one end of the strap were sheet metal screws but they seem to be secured with a nut on the back. Again, there seems to be no access to this nut. Does the car have to go on a lift to get access? or should I cut those screws off and secure with self-tapping screws?

Appreciate the help,

Ed - 39512122

Wombat

Donation Time
Ed

My Parts book (Series I to IV) shows some of these studs with self tapping screw threads on them. Maybe that is what that one is?? Alternatively, there is a triangular hole in the inner panel behind the door. You will need to remove the trim over this - your SV probably has different trim to my SIV so I can't be sure how to do it.

It may be possible to get your hand through there. Also you could raise the top and you might be able to reach in from the soft top well. I can't guarantee success with either way.

Good Luck!

JonPiz

Donation Time
Managed to get mine off. You need to go in behind the triangular panel where the upper seat belt mount goes (if you have seat belts that is). Mine had a small nut underneath and I had to hold a small spanner carefully (a hand wont fit and the thread might be a bit tight from corrosion etc), because drop it and well its hard to get out again. Sounds weird but tie a piece of string to the spanner!!;)