• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Expired

Can someone ID this engine from something Rootes? I'm interested in knowing what it came out of and the displacement.I beleive it to be a 1725 according to most of the specs I'm pulling from it.

B051010075 BH LSX
Thanks for any and all help.

sunbeammadd

Donation Time
I'd say it came from a Hunter/Arrow series car. It should have provision on the side for engine mounts to bolt to, that you won't see on the earlier units as used in our Alpines.

engine # B051010075 LSX can anyone ID the source and displacement of this engine?

I don't have the head so I don't know if it had the alloy head or the cast iron head.

Some casting information on the block: Engine ID plate at oil filter base: B051010075 LSX

All on the 'intake' side of the block
upper right: letter 'H'
upper right: '1724'
lower right: '1981100H'
stamped tag fixed to block lower right: '9-1-67' looks to be date of casting.
It is a (5) five main bearing engine. The 'diamond' symbol found on the Alpine block is not present on this block. There were no discerning markings on the crank.
Thanks for helping.

some more information...1725?

I don't have the head so I don't know if it had the alloy head or the cast iron head.

Some casting information on the block: Engine ID plate at oil filter base: B051010075 LSX

It is a (5) five main bearing engine. The 'diamond' symbol found on the Alpine block is not present on this block. There were no discerning markings on the crank.
Thanks for helping.

I'd say it came from a Hunter/Arrow series car. It should have provision on the side for engine mounts to bolt to, that you won't see on the earlier units as used in our Alpines.

There are triangular casting with machined threaded hole located below the oil filter base and on the other side same location. The build date seems to be 1967; this is not an early engine. How about the LSX ; left hand standard market for export?
Thanks,

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sunbeam Auto Restorations,

If you got the cam with the engine, you can tell if it was an iron head or alloy head because of the heads' different valve orders. The cams will not interchange between head types as you probably already know.

If by chance you do have the cam and the numbers cast into it are:

MC24002-N

&

then it would have been an iron head.

This cam was installed in an Arrow with an IRON head and single CD150 carb.

HTH,

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
How about the LSX ; left hand standard market for export?

LSX >...the L would be left hand drive export

...........the S would be for saloon

...........the X would be non-standard

HTH,

Information received from Oversea's has designated this engine to be:
1725 cc from a late model; post 1967 Hillman /Arrow/Avenger /Rapier (Alpine here in the states) model with the BW-35 (Borg Warner ) automatic trnsmission. The crankshft pilot end confirms the find. Thanks.

Thanks for helping.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill,

I have a listing of block identifications from A thru L showing application to all Rootes cars. If you're interested, PM me and I'll scan/email you a copy for future use. It identifies about 120 engines.

BTW, let me know how the front clip worked out for you.

tc, Mark ..... volvoguys