• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Exhaust system needed

Duke

Donation Time
Looking for some advice on a complete exhaust (downpipe-tailpipe) system for my stock Tiger.

Any info on the SS system?

Thanks!

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I have one that I got from Tiger Tom back in 1990 and I am still useing it no problems , Tom and Rick got the systems from the same supplier I think. I would go with Rick, it is an all SS system should last as long as the car:cool:

atallamcs

Donation Time
exhaust system

I had the chief scientist from FlowMasters spec out a system for my tiger. It might be of value for your consideration. I had a built 260 running stock exhaust manifold into 2.25 pipes with a cross over pipe into delta 50 mufflers and exiting with the same 2.25 pipes. Very clean system which ran better than the system sold years ago for tigers. The mufflers had the right flow and sound. I think tubular headers would have been the right thing to do as well.
Bill

64beam

Donation Time
I had the chief scientist from FlowMasters spec out a system for my tiger. It might be of value for your consideration. I had a built 260 running stock exhaust manifold into 2.25 pipes with a cross over pipe into delta 50 mufflers and exiting with the same 2.25 pipes. Very clean system which ran better than the system sold years ago for tigers. The mufflers had the right flow and sound. I think tubular headers would have been the right thing to do as well.
Bill

Hi Bill,

Did this particular system fit through the stock X frame holes or did you have them enlarged? Do you have any pictures of this system? Was it fairly loud at speed?

Thanks, Robin.

atallamcs

Donation Time
exhaust system

This systems was just perfect in my opinion. It fit through the cross members, though I do not know if the body shop helped that effort. It has the right sound at idle and under full acceleration. And most important since, I ran the hard top most of the time, no drone sound. Hence you can talk while driving on the freeway. Sorry no pictures as that car was sold. I will repeat the design with my new tiger but with slightly larger pipes as it is a stroke 302.
Best,

Bill

http://rides.webshots.com/album/446838691eUlJBj
This was the car, my GT Tiger.

Duke

Donation Time
I went with the Double S Exhaust system (hecto in England) from Rick. The car sounds completely different now. On my initial test drive I about swapped ends when making my first turn from a stop. The old system must have been VERY restrictive/clogged. My carb now needs a re-jet, I am leaning out on the secondaries.

Tiger

Donation Time
Bill, Is this system something I could buy, or would i have to have someone spec one for me from scratch. Do you have any pictures of your system? I'd also love to see pictures of Duke's Hecto system from Rick. Sounds good! Thanks.

Duke

Donation Time
OK guys.

I do have to get under the car to tweak the fitment. When I have the car up off the ground, I will take some. They will be limited due to not having a lift.

PS - You guys realize that Rick is Sunbeam Specialties right? You can call and order one anytime.

Tiger

Donation Time
Thanks. I do know that Rick is the Rick from Sunbeam Specialties. I've bought a lot of stuff from him already. Rick has some nice stuff, but his catalogue leaves a lot to be desired. I will likely order an exhaust system from him, but the problem is that I have no idea what it looks like, and I have no idea what kind of mufflers come with it, or basically anything else. While I'm at it, is there any way to install headers without removing the engine? That would be nice, but I'm doubtful! Thanks!

Duke

Donation Time
As requested.

Keep in mind, I have to loosen everything and do some tweeking for me to be happy with the fit.

exh1.JPG

exh3.JPG

exh2.JPG

exh4.JPG

Tiger

Donation Time
Thanks Duke. I think I'll be going with the same system from Rick. It looks nice. How does it sound? Thanks.