• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

English 'How to' Alpine Videos

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi All,

In case it is of any interest to you we have made a series of 'How to' videos covering how we have addressed a number of common Sunbeam Alpine problems. We don't claim to be professional mechanics and there will be other way to do these things, but the videos are a record of what we did and may help others who need to do the same.

If you want to see them you can go to the channel home page at

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9bNv4byJ3EjfBpUv2r9DVQ

Best Wishes,

Tim R

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks Jan,

We are trying to make a comprehensive set of videos that cover all manner of Alpine maintenance work. The hope is that it will be an invaluable and permanent resource for younger members who get an interest in these cars in the future but don't know how to look after them.
A picture really is worth a thousand words and the videos help people to visualise what needs to be done and how to do it.

Best Wishes,

Tim R

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I've watched your trans rebuild series and really appreciate your putting it up. I'm about to dig into mine and it will be a big help. Thanks.

The only comment I'd make is that it would be even better with audio describing any details, potential errors etc in each step being performed.

Thanks again,

Al

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Al,

We decided against audio as there are so many You Tube videos where the audio ends up being really, really, irritating!

Instead we put written instructions into the video (so people can pause the video and read or re-read them if they want) plus we also offer people detailed sequential instructions in PDF format for the more complicated jobs.

If club members want any sequential instructions they can E Mail me at TIM_RAYMOND@sky.com and I will happily send the PDF to them.

Best Wishes,

Tim R

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
There are several new 'How to videos' on You Tube. These include rebuilding the front suspension using basic hand tools only, fitting MGF Leather seats into an Alpine and fitting a MINI wind deflector. Videos currently in production include how to achieve 'ultimate rustproofing' on an Alpine body shell and restoring the bodywork.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
If you were to make them available to SAOCA management, with appropriate permissions assigned by all rights holders, they could be archived here, (as data) but the links could still point to the YouTube versions. If something happened to either you (sorry) or YouTube, the club would still have a clean, hi-res version that could be posted elsewhere, and links/re-directs updated. (So SAOCA doesn't have to incur video hosting/bandwidth costs for every play requested.)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ken, Here are a few notes I made with Tim in 2016 in regards to Him allowing SAOCA to provide access from our site.

(I made contact after Jim Stone made the POST on engine rebuild)

QUOTE: Thanks much Tim for a Master Piece...Tim.
Hope you allow us (SAOCA) to include this as part of our archives on the Sunbeam Alpine....
If you would so kindly give us permission it would be greatly appreciated.

DanR
SAOCA Treasurer
tiger2dan@gmail.com
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Hi Dan, 5/3/16
You are very welcome to use any of my Alpine videos so long as people understand the videos are just the record of what we did on our rebuild, I am not a mechanic and I claim no expertise to give advice to others!
As far as the engine rebuild one is concerned all I would ask is that you point out the omission I made of rotating the engine one turn before installing the oil pump as I would hate anyone rebuilding a 1725 to have a problem because of me. Once my computer is fixed I will send you the (amended) rebuild instructions and you can put these with the video for members to refer to.
Best Wishes,
Tim

Thanks Tim! I'll wait until you have the update, then POST to our Forum at SAOCA.

Hi Dan, I now have a brand new computer as my old Mac turned out to be beyond repair!

Here are the typed notes that I made to cover a full engine rebuild and a hub seal replacement. I made these guides and videos for my two sons as they both have Alpines and one day they may have to do this kind of work on their own!
If they are any use to anyone rebuilding Alpines that is good. All I would add is that I make no claims to be a mechanic, the videos and notes just record how we did it, there may be other and beer ways to achieve the same result.

Best Wishes,
UNQUOTE

Now to get the Board to upload! :)

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Now to get the Board to upload! :)

As a proof of concept, I embedded one of the YouTube videos in the parts/technical Gallery. We'll have to discuss what makes the most sense. Should I create a separate gallery for videos? Should I add them as a tutorial in the Feature Articles and How-To's forum? Some other solution?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
As a proof of concept, I embedded one of the YouTube videos in the parts/technical Gallery. We'll have to discuss what makes the most sense. Should I create a separate gallery for videos? Should I add them as a tutorial in the Feature Articles and How-To's forum? Some other solution?

Greggers, I'd say in the Featured Articles

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Never mind!! I found a Video you just posted....As I said I arose early this morning and all is going as normal:)

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi Guys, There are a quite number of videos on the site now and we get a consistent number of people looking at them every day so they are obviously proving to be of some use. I couldn't find specific links on your site to the videos though (this could just be because I am not that familiar with the US site). In the UK we have a specific Tab on the website labelled 'How to videos' and that makes it easy for people to find them and view whatever they want.

I hope that the videos prove to be of use to you all.

Best Wishes,

Tim R

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tim, I sent you and E-mail in response to yours to me.

IF you log back on Goto the GALLERY at the top of the page then go down the the Parts/ Drawings , that is where Greggers uploaded one of your videos .

Many Thanks, for your good work and willingness to share,