• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

engine removal video

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Van,

This video shows how we prepare a car before putting the engine in (removing it is identical, in reverse!)

This video covers rebuilding an engine.

Best Wishes,

Tim R

Van Bagley

Donation Time
Thank you all as this is very helpful. I pulled the motor out for a rebuild about 15 years ago but I did not replace the clutch at that time. As I recall I have to remove the gear box cross brace so I can angle the the bell housing to the box and engine.IMG_6748.JPG

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
You mentioned you didn't replace the clutch last time you removed the engine and did a rebuild ... Why do you want to remove the engine? I assume it doesn't need another rebuild. Is it to replace the clutch?

Van Bagley

Donation Time
Yes it's to replace the clutch and also spend a bit of time repairing a few oil leaks as well as cleaning etc.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
You can replace the clutch by just pulling the gearbox, leaving the engine in place. However based on what you want to do it sounds like you may want to pull the engine + gearbox together and then replace the clutch once both items are out of the car. Certainly easier to reconnect the gearbox with the engine when both are removed from the car.

Mike

Van Bagley

Donation Time
The engine popped right out. Really nice to be able to inspect and clean everything. How important is it to replace the ring gear. I didn't want to pull the gear box out as it's connected to the OD but maybe I will.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Do you think the ring gear has any issues?

I wasn't suggesting you separate the Main Casing and the Overdrive Unit. Gearbox means the whole assembly - the main casing, overdrive unit, rear cover (i.e. tail housing), etc.