• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine painting

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
In the continuing series of my dumb questions....

I have a 2.8 sitting in my garage (along with a ton of other stuff) waiting for the right rolling chassis to appear. I have concluded that the "Ford Blue" won't work with any of the three colors I'm considering. Need to paint the engine while I'm waiting for that perfect S4/S5 stripped rolling chassis to appear in the driveway. (Dear Santa...)

What's the right way? Tear it down to the block and have it stripped or paint over the blue? Strip it and powder coat it? (Do you powder coat engine blocks?) I'm open to recommendations.

My current car has an engine from a Capri and apparently they were silver. Mine tends to flake.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

These engines came in only two colors. The early models came in black, and the Ranger/Bronco II type came in industrial grey. They never came in Ford blue. I would just tape over the intake ports and exhaust ports and paint it one of the two colors. My preference, is black, because it will go with any color you might want to paint the car.

Jose :)

I have a 2.8 sitting in my garage (along with a ton of other stuff) waiting for the right rolling chassis to appear. I have concluded that the "Ford Blue" won't work with any of the three colors I'm considering. Need to paint the engine while I'm waiting for that perfect S4/S5 stripped rolling chassis to appear in the driveway. (Dear Santa...)

What's the right way? Tear it down to the block and have it stripped or paint over the blue? Strip it and powder coat it? (Do you powder coat engine blocks?) I'm open to recommendations.

My current car has an engine from a Capri and apparently they were silver. Mine tends to flake.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
That's weird.....

Black and grey, huh? :confused: That's weird. I'm going to send you pix via PM this weekend.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Black and grey, huh? :confused: That's weird. I'm going to send you pix via PM this weekend.

Nick, I painted my Pinto engine Chevy orange. Two reason: I had it and I like to mess with peoples minds. More to point, paint the damn thing any color you like. I mean, who knows what color a 2.8 wedged into an Alpine is SUPPOSED to be?

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I agree Bill. The first engine in the turbo Alpine was painted a deep purple. It was different, especially when you think that the body color was a light blue. I think a guy should paint his engine whatever he likes, but I happen to like black as an engine color, so all the following engines I have installed into an Alpine, was painted black. Since I have not done all V6 Alpines, I can't say they came from my hands with black painted engines. If I had, I'm sure that those that later might want to restore one of my conversions, would want to paint the engine exactly the same color that I painted it. They would be asking which color black they should paint the engine, gloss, flat, or any other type that it might have been.

Most guys that own a V6 Alpine, are maverick enough to do things like they want, and I applaud that. GO FOR IT NICK!!

Nick, I painted my Pinto engine Chevy orange. Two reason: I had it and I like to mess with peoples minds. More to point, paint the damn thing any color you like. I mean, who knows what color a 2.8 wedged into an Alpine is SUPPOSED to be?

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jose, it is interesting how people differ. For the last 20 years or so, black has been my least favorite color for engines and engine bays. Can't see squat. Like looking into a cave. That's one big plus for orange. I can see everything, just never mind the dirt and oil.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I prefer body color in the engine bay too, although I have painted the engine bay black, when I didn't have the money to paint the whole car to make the engine bay the same color. I like black on the engine, for a couple of reasons. First, all chromed or polished accessories stand out better. Second, the black color helps the engine get rid of heat better.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha! I underrstand. When you get into modifying an Alpine, you run out of money p;retty quickly, for all the gingerbread. BOY, do remember that!!

Jose :D

Chrome? Polish?
What are those?

Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Okay...Okay... Do I need to strip off what's on there now or paint over it? I don't know how this thing got painted blue, but it ain't going in my car blue. Nope...

Although I'm not going to do much out of the Sven book, I thought that yellow engine on the cover looked great. I just got my finned valve covers and will need to fill in some chips in the fins and polish them up.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nick, I'd work the engine over real good with a strong solution of soap and water. Use a scrub brush, wire brush, scouring pad, anything that will get the crud off. Any paint that remains will probably be a good enough base for your color coat. Might use a fairly fine sandpaper to feather the edges and scuff the old paint. Maybe 220 wet or dry. That will give a presentable paint job. For a show stopper, strip it and finish it off like you would the body with several coats of primer and lots of sanding.

Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Engine paint-revisited

Okiedoke. That makes sense. Only want to do this once. I'm going to take the engine down and put some stuff in it. I'll probably tape off all the holes and do a mild blast roughing then paint the thing.

When I decide the body color I'll poll the membership for suggestions. I'm torn between BRG body with :eek: Oh My Gosh, Get My Sunglasses Yellow engine, or Gunmetal Grey body with a Quicksilver engine. But I'm a long way from that for now.

Gentlemen, again thank you for your input and support.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

I would go for Screamin Yellow body color, with a tan interior. BRG has to be the least favorite color for a V6 Alpine. A hot Alpine like you're going to have, should have a bright color, to match the performance. Bryan Gilbreath has a gun metal V6 Alpine, which looks great, but it's already been done.

Jose :D

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I find the BRG gives a very formal looking car and was torn was between it and bright blue and metallic orange. I decided on the orange because my cars are never very formal, the blue does not really look good with black while the metallic orange looks great with the black tires and top.

In general, I think a person should consider the character of the car they are creating and the impact of the chrome, wheels and top that will finish off the car. We tend to ignore the fact these cars usually finish out as two tone, black and something or white and something.

Bill

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I love the BRG
Both cars are BRG.The comments I get are that the green just suits them.Of course being modified migfht influence some

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you all

Geez I love this group. Thanks guys.

With all respect to Sensei Jose, I'd be too self:eek:conscious in a yellow car. The less attention it gets while parked the better. Yes, it has to be clean, detailed, and well thought out. I'm really leaning towards the Retina Scorching Yellow engine.

I have some time still. Again, thank you all.

lgurley

Donation Time
Rolling chassis

Or you could sell me the 2.8 and let me worry about what color to paint it. I would be happy to help you solve that problem. I think any color would look good replacing this non running Toyota motor that a PO put in this SIV

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Really?

Or you could sell me the 2.8 and let me worry about what color to paint it. I would be happy to help you solve that problem. I think any color would look good replacing this non running Toyota motor that a PO put in this SIV

You would do that for me? Yer too cool fer school! Like I said, I love this site. Where else would one member offer to bail another out like that?

Grateful thanks for your gererous and kind offer, but I'd hate to burden someone else. I got myself into this position and I'll get myself out, somehow. ;)

To paraphrase the old Irish blessing, "May you be well down the road and around the corner before Lucas knows you're out of the garage."

Jim E

Donation Time
While it is not correct for the 2.8 I just think Ford blue is the color to paint the thing.