• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine block clean out

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Rootes engine overheating issue that is often discussed, sediment build-up in the water jacket around cylinder number four.

This montage was just posted to YT a few hours ago. Thanks to Arrow 5 and his shop for the video.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Excellent video! Resembling what I experienced with many Rootes blocks, especially 5 bearing 1725cc ones...

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Exactly what you find in these blocks. The only thing they didn't take out was the cam plate
as crap gets there too. Whenever you rebuild, clean out the block!

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
From my experience, much of the material found in the block is not residue but sand used in the casting process. This is why normal flushing agents are of no use. I made the mistake of not replacing the core plugs when the engine was out of the car and had to do the job later. The one at the back of the engine is difficult to get at and I would strongly advise changing them all.