• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Engine Bay fastener Questions

cdk84

Donation Time
Hi All,

I have a Series 2 Alpine and want to restore the engine bay to original appearance.

Does anyone have photos of a car known not to have been restored?

Need to learn which bolts were painted and which were left untreated metal. I believe hinge attaching bolts and bolts holding the scuttle braces were painted body color. Is that right? What about the other fasteners? Master cylinders? Fuse box? Coil? Etc...

Any help you can provide, whether in the form of photos or description, would be tremendously helpful and very much appreciated.

Best Wishes, Keep Healthy, and get some Sunbeam seat time!

Ceers,

David

Last edited:

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi All,

I have a Series 2 Alpine and want to restore the engine bay to original appearance.

Does anyone have photos of a car known not to have been restored?

Need to learn which bolts were painted and which were left untreated metal. I believe hinge attaching bolts and bolts holding the scuttle braces were painted body color. Is that right? What about the other fasteners? Master cylinders? Fuse box? Coil? Etc...

Any help you can provide, whether in the form of photos or description, would be tremendously helpful and very much appreciated.

Best Wishes, Keep Healthy, and get some Sunbeam seat time!

Ceers,

David

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
The engine and all ancillerys were installed after the engine bay was painted. Hood bolts and washers were body color. Braces from firewall to wheel arch were painted body color. Brake boosters were painted by mfg brake lines were natural steel, m/c were natural color of either cast iron or aluminum steering cross tube s/g black same for steering box and idler arms

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
The engine and all ancillerys were installed after the engine bay was painted. Hood bolts and washers were body color. Braces from firewall to wheel arch were painted body color. Brake boosters were painted by mfg brake lines were natural steel, m/c were natural color of either cast iron or aluminum steering cross tube s/g black same for steering box and idler arms

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
This one was parked next to me in San Diego, he said it was original.
IMG_3789-X2.jpg

IMG_3788-X2.jpg

IMG_3787-X2.jpg

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I don't recall seeing a hood release latch mechanism painted body color before. The ones I have seen are always gray/natural metal color, except I have seen a few folks chrome them.

Based on a brake fluid reservoir that came off a parts car, I would expect the brake fluid reservoir color should be gray/natural metal, not black.

Neither comment I am making definitively answers how it came from the factory.

Mike

alpine_64

Donation Time
Mike you are correct in all of the above, that car has quite a lot of deviation from stock.

David, contact Oliver in the UK he went through this with His HA .. He will have your complete answers and good ref photos.

Ill email you re the underseal etc questions with some photos.

MK

Limey

Donation Time
Hi David, (cdk84)

Your path will be steep, thorny and strewn with stones if you have chosen the way of originality. However, it takes you the top of the resto mountain where you will get the best views ;-) I am no master but a fellow pilgrim. Happy to help in anyway I can so post here and I'll pass on the little I have learned and perhaps some of the wise ones will chip in.

Are you ready to 'splosh' paint your freshly painted grill recess and the bottom half of your hinges with mat black paint with a 10 cent 2 inch brush like 'fat Bob' did in the factory back in the '60's?

I will be doing that to mine next week. Do you remember that bit in 'Kung Fu' when the young David Carradine has to brand his arms to earn his rank as a Shaolin monk? It's going to be a bit like that for me but without the smell of burnt pork...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-31 at 19.55.19.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-31 at 19.55.19.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot 2020-08-31 at 19.53.13.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-31 at 19.53.13.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2020-08-31 at 19.52.41.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-31 at 19.52.41.png
    1 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
As far as originality goes, I am trying to keep the same overall shape of the body. That's about it.