• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

End of a 34-year love affair. Matilda needs another owner.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Sadly - you have no idea how sadly - I have to end my 34-year love affair with Matilda. The calendar, I'm afraid, is catching up to me in a hurry; 78 is just around the corner.

It took me over a month to fit the new pistons/rings and get everything back together, time the ignition etc., and it just about wasted me, especially being without a lift. Everything is now complete and the engine starts and runs immediately, and gives 40psi on hot 15/40 Rotella.

However, infirmity can't be ignored. Tomorrow I go for hand surgery to correct a tendon problem that caused a hell of a lot of pain wielding the tools, so I haven't been able to adjust the lifters ("tappet clearance" in Limey). When the hand heals the next thing is a left knee replacement, so the prospect of being able to press the clutch and turn the non-power assisted steering are remote.

Matilda is a good, solid car with no rust. I am the second owner, and the first had her undersealed, which was a wise decision. Send me a P.M. if interested. I'm not looking for a lot of money, just someone who will take care of my baby. The authentic UK license plate is included, but not the badge bar. (I'll post this in the For Sale section, too.)

Matilda1_zpsecaa174f.jpg

Matilda3_zpsf9546a2f.jpg

Matilda2_zpsbffa7c87.jpg

Matilda4_zps0fe84c3d.jpg

Last edited:

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Sorry that you have to let Matilda go, but she is a very nice Alpine and should make the new owner very happy.
Best of luck with your medical issues.

bashby

Donation Time
Nick, so sorry to hear that you will be giving up Matilda, you have provided many of us with insight and laughs. Best of luck on your surgeries.
Kind regards,
-Bill

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
She looks pretty good for 50 something. You may too by next summer. 78 isn't that old, I'm 65 and think I have at least 20 decent years to go. Surgeons are pretty good these days. Why not wait 'till spring? You may feel a whole lot different by then.

Anyway, best of luck and feel better soon.

Al

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Don't give up or in yet!

Nick,

I am near 76 which is only a couple years behind you. My health is good! Praise the Lord for that!

Only recently I've noticed pain in my thumbs both hands especially when turning wrenches.

As Al suggested please wait until next spring before you make that final decision to turn Matilda over to some one else.

But only you know what is best for you!

Here's wishing you all the best in treatment and recovery.

DanR

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Nick

Sad to hear indeed. She was blessed to be in your care all these years. I hope you'll continue your input to SAOCA.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Good luck with the surgeries Nick
I just passed 76 and found out I have arthritis in both knees.
Hold off on selling. I have a couple of friends who have had both knees done and are still driving standard old cars. My brother in law had one knee done and a week later was back riding his stationary bike. 2 weeks later he was out riding his road bike. He was younger as he had his kne done at 72"

Regardless good luck

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I agree, you should wait. It's amazing what they've done with prosthetic joints. Once rehabbed, which is key, you should be able to use it normally.

mikephillips

Donation Time
As others have mentioned, hold off a bit, you might feel differently after getting a bit of a rebuild yourself if in the end the pain is gone or at least minimized. But if in the end she heads off to a new home, keep stopping by. You're part of a circle of folks who know and love the joys and frustrations of older British car ownership. Just because the car might be gone doesn't mean you're shown the door.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Once more, thanks to everyone for your kind wishes. I just looked at my pics again and can't believe I took the one of the dashboard before vacuuming the floor.