• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Emergencey Brake Equalizer rod/cable

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Working on my SV 's rear shelf area and had to get under the car to pull this off before carpet/upholstery etc.. .. how'd ya like to accidentally sit down on that! ... anyhow, since I was under the car I'm going to fix an error on part of a P.O. .. Does anyone have photo's of these area's or can tell me what and where that clip goes and am I missing parts? ... can't seem to find any photo's in the usual places. I know the cable over the axle is wrong as it's rubbing on the brake line.

Thanks for any help, ... David

Attachments

• 67ebrake1 005.JPG
    67ebrake1 005.JPG
    431.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 67ebrake 001.JPG
    67ebrake 001.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 78
  • 67ebrake1 003.JPG
    67ebrake1 003.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 67ebrake1 002.JPG
    67ebrake1 002.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 73

mikephillips

Donation Time
One thing to note, the little clip you see on the rod can have a tendency to pop off and allow the rod to drop free. So get a speed nut or cap at the hardware store to put on the end of the rod that will keep it from dropping free. I've also wondered why they originally put the rod in from the bottom up rather than from the top down. You could have the end heated and rebent to point down and use it that way which would prevent it from dropping out. I have a LHD rod on a RHD Alpine and it fits in just fine "upside down".

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks Guys! .. pic.s always help ... So the rod is upside down on mine and that clip keeps it from falling out in case the cotter pin fails 'cause it goes in from the bottom and not the top? ... Does that mean the cable goes under the axle or over it? ... Speed nut it is...Thanks!

.... David

mikephillips

Donation Time
As original the rod goes into the arm on the backing plate from the bottom. The clips seem to be worn out in terms of holding power and I've seen them pop off and the rod ends up sitting on the spring. The cable goes over the top of the axle and clips to the wheel arch. If you look just forward of the axle at the bottom lip of the arch you'll find a small hole. That was where a clip wrapped the cable and was screwed to the body to keep the cable from dropping down and maybe being damaged as the car was driven.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
That pic Mike shows of the rod intersection covered in white lube reminded me. After sitting for a few weeks with the emergency/parking brake applied, my rear drums were locked up. It was that binding point that was stuck fast. Make sure it’s well lubricated.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Two more more pictures. I should have found these the first time around.

This one shows the parking brake cable and the retaining clip on the axle. My parking brake cable is routed under the axle.
20140918-001-differential.jpg

And this shows the clip near the wheel opening.
20140918-002.jpg

Mike

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
One thing to note, the little clip you see on the rod can have a tendency to pop off and allow the rod to drop free. So get a speed nut or cap at the hardware store to put on the end of the rod that will keep it from dropping free. I've also wondered why they originally put the rod in from the bottom up rather than from the top down. You could have the end heated and rebent to point down and use it that way which would prevent it from dropping out. I have a LHD rod on a RHD Alpine and it fits in just fine "upside down".
When we used that stuff we drilled the end of the rod for a cotter pin

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Thanks Mike for the pics ... I'll have to look for that clip on the bottom of the axle to route the cable under it ... didn't notice it when I was under the car.

..... David

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Found the tab to secure the cable under the axle .... all done 'cept wondering if the e-brake handle is set up correctly .. can't find pic.s in the wsm or the parts cat. ... any help appreciated.

..... Thanks again everyone for the help, Davidebrake67 012.JPG

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Looks right to me, assuming there is also a spacer for leftmost bolt.

Here's a photo someone sent me of the parts for mounting the hand brake. Ignore the red Xs. Those were parts I was missing.

upload_2019-7-21_22-5-9.jpeg

Mike