• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Electronic distributor question.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

When using electronic distributors, I have heard that you can open the spark plug gap due to the increased voltage produced. I believe the standard gap is 0.9mm (0.035in). What could it be increased to safely?

Thank you, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi,

When using electronic distributors, I have heard that you can open the spark plug gap due to the increased voltage produced. I believe the standard gap is 0.9mm (0.035in). What could it be increased to safely?

Thank you, Robin.

That depends on what kind of ingition system you are using.. a TRUE high powered electronic ignition will have a higher powered coil and require different gapping, leads and plugs (eg Crane or MSD) a points replacement ignition wont make much difference at all.

64beam

Donation Time
That depends on what kind of ingition system you are using.. a TRUE high powered electronic ignition will have a higher powered coil and require different gapping, leads and plugs (eg Crane or MSD) a points replacement ignition wont make much difference at all.

Hi Michael,

It is the higher power (Ford/Bosch) type with the electronic coil and retains the female style cap and leads to suit, not HEI.

Regards, Robin.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Plug Gap

If you use a Petronix dist. they tell you to increase the gap ,we are running
.050 on the V8 on the Tiger we had an msd Ign. and ran the same gap.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
They also do not tell you about tach adaptors or filters.You may or may not need one depending on the tack.It seems the MSd distributor is sending a higher voltage to the coil as i was informed.
I was running the MSD ready to run plug in distributor and using the Stewart warner gauges.Book says no need for adaptors or filters.How wrong that was.
after pulling what little hair out I did purcahse an adaptor from summit as their tech told me this is what i needed.No go on that either.I finally got someone at the MSD teck line.Man it is hard to get through.He told me a filter is neede and there a3 kinds.Now this nice fellow said he would send all 3 at no cost and one would wor.Of course I tried 2 and it was the 3rd one that solved the problem.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
petronix dist

Chuck:
Maybe i'm the lucky guy on this,we've run both the petronix and the
msd and not used filters or, how ever we did get a lot of needle bounce
with the tach with either one, a diode from radio shack in the signal wire solves the problem.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Chuck:
Maybe i'm the lucky guy on this,we've run both the petronix and the
msd and not used filters or, how ever we did get a lot of needle bounce
with the tach with either one, a diode from radio shack in the signal wire solves the problem.

I had some similar symptoms and then on accelleration the tach would just drop back to 0.The part I ended up with that cured the problem was a small diode.I do mean small.
But then they send all 3 to me free of charge so I can't complain a bit

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Thank you for the replies. 0.05in (1.27mm) is a fairly big gap and a reasonable increase from stock; you obviously didn't have any issues. In regards to the tacho bounce, where exactly do you place the diode and do you have a part number for the diode (ie IN 4004,etc)?

Chuck, did you also increase the spark plug gap?

Regards, Robin.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Diode

Robin:

Diode #IN4005 put it in the signal wire from the dist. to the tach, I just
clipped the lead at the coil and soldered in between.

Joel

64beam

Donation Time
Robin:

Diode #IN4005 put it in the signal wire from the dist. to the tach, I just
clipped the lead at the coil and soldered in between.

Joel

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the information. When you say the signal wire, do you mean the 'white' coloured wire?

Thanks, Robin.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Electronic

Robin

Other than the 12 volt side of the coil (- post ) should be the side that feeds the tach.

Joel

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi

Chuck, did you also increase the spark plug gap?

Regards, Robin.

Robin
I did not increase the gap.I was not aware if an increase was neccessary as the car ran fine. I did make sure all connections were clean and tight as a couple were not quite clean and tight.This I did find made some difference I believe.
I have more problems so the 62 will be off the road for a while.The Lister is smiling as it was getting jealous not getting out while the 62 was and now it will be the one to go cruising.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Thank you both for the information. Is there any reason why you couldn't run an earth/ground from negative side of the coil to an earth/ground point? I saw this done on an electronic ignition video to ensure a good earth/ground and have never seen this done before as they normal ground through the distributor housing.

Thanks, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I have finally installed my new electronic distributor and already seems to idle much better (even my wife noticed ;) ). I did have a couple of teething problems but after something to eat and some time away to think, I sorted it out and the engine fired up instantly (a tech tip for those who install a similar dissy, don't ground the negative side of the coil as the BIM 024 module won't work :eek:...slightly missled by a install video I found on the procomp site as well). Now I just need a day that isn't wet to take the Tiger for a spin :) .

Regards, Robin.