• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Electrical Restoration

Walt

Gold Level Sponsor
I am restoring a '61 Series II. Engine, transmission, all running gear has been completed. All body work and paint is restored. Now, I am stumped by the wiring. I've got the diagrams but don't fully understand the system and how things connect and sequence, which is all complicated by the original owner using residential housing wire and extension cords to rewire under the bonnet. Elsewhere is untouched, but the engine compartment looked like a nightmare. He even sliced into the wiring harness and spliced in wires that didn't match and had some aftermarket plugs installed for who knows what.

Bottom line, I need good source who can help me with basic rewiring using the correct color coded wires and connectors. If there is a good book on British Auto Wiring for Dummies, I would appreciate a reference. I am in Raleigh, NC, so if you know a good source nearby, I am sure that would be better than anything I might try.

Thanks everyone,

Walt

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Re-wring is a time-consuming job, but not terribly difficult and in the end, probably easier than trying to correct the PO's hack job. The Rebel harness is well thought out and a very nice improvement over the original, with many fuses instead of the original two. And, it also comes with great support from Steve. However, if I interpret your opening line literally ("I am restoring a '61 Series II") a more modern harness may not be what you seek. If so, you can get a reproduction harness from Sunbeam Specialities (http://www.rootes.com/catalog3color.pdf#page=1) or from Classic Sunbeam Auto Parts (https://classicsunbeam.com/collections/electrical-parts?page=2), although I note that the latter's website indicates they are out of stock. Your other main option is BritishWiring.com (http://www.britishwiring.com/category-s/169.htm). British Wiring's harness is more expensive than SS or CS. I don't know if they are different; someone else may have an educated opinion on that.

hopsedge

Platinum Level Sponsor
Can’t say enough good things about Steve Shuttleton (sunalp). He was figuratively by my side every time I needed help rewiring a SV. Even if you don’t go the modern wiring harness route, Steve may be able to help.

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
o Elec
Can’t say enough good things about Steve Shuttleton (sunalp). He was figuratively by my side every time I needed help rewiring a SV. Even if you don’t go the modern wiring harness route, Steve may be able to help.
In your first post you asked about any books about British electrical issues. I have always enjoyed reading Rob Siegle, who goes by "The Hack Mechanic." He mainly works on BMWs, but other cars too, and is highly entertaining and informative. He has a book called "The Guide to European Auto Electrical Systems", available on Amazon for $40. Still much less than an hour of shop labor. Very basic to complex, has taught me a lot. David

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have purchased complete & new wiring from British Wire. It's good quality and it's factory stock, so it fits without any customizing and the colored jacket of the wire MATCHES the factory schematic.
I think Rick sells them too.
Jan