• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

electric radiator fan

sd_pace

Donation Time
I was wanting to install an electric cooling fan in my s5.... does it matter what kind i use?... is there a prefered one ?

thanks Steve

nickraymond

Donation Time
I use a 10" Kenlowe, has a temp sender so it turns itself on and off and also an override switch when I know I'm in traffic for a while and want to give it a 'headstart' on cooling.

http://www.kenlowe.co.uk/fans/consumers/fans12.html

It's so effective I've even taken my mechanical fan off to reduce engine load. (and my car is automatic so its even hotter than a manual!)

Nick

Nickodell

Donation Time
Be sure to buy one designed to mount on the front of the radiator and push air through, not one designed to pull from behind. It is very difficult to fit a pull type because of the small clearance between the fan boss and the radiator. Some people have overcome this by fitting twin smaller fans lower down.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
There are a great many options out there for fans. I used what I had on hand, a rather large but robust Saab cooling fan which has done a great job of settling down a rather testy cooling system....

sd_pace

Donation Time
The radiator is a recored one... i dont think i have ever seen one that pushes and mounts to the front... but i like the idea of that...

tom you just want to put the motor in big blue dont'cha:D

Jim E

Donation Time
Mercedes and BMW fans are pretty good units, you may want to go take a look at the pick and pull and see what is out there.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Later MGB's have 2 pusher fans mounted side by side. Don't know if they would fit an Alpine or not.
Moss also sells Hayden fans that can be set as pusher or puller (according to the catalog description) in 10", 12", and 14" sizes that turn on at 185 and off at 170.

sd_pace

Donation Time
yes...it is a recore chris (3 core)...... i like the idea of a twin fan... you know how hot it gets in the south...
thaks guys

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes Atlanta heat. Headed out to see my mom & dad last Friday afternoon – maybe 95F. Coming up I-85 from downtown was fine. When I turned onto the 285 everything came to a stop – then moved at around 15 mph then stopped – over and over again until I reached Stn Mtn Freeway. I didn’t even wait for the thermostat to move I just hit the switch and turned on the electric fan (in front of the 3 core radiator). I was roasting even w/ the top up for shade but the engine temp held fine. Electric fans are great! I wish the clip on dash fan worked as well. Who is it in Alabama that has AC in an Alpine?

bbonner

Donation Time
electric fan

We are installing on in the front of the radiator that I bought from VB last year and just getting to putting it on. My car is a 4 cyclinder not a 6 cyclinder. What type of problems could we encounter with an electric fan??

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
His name is Ed Esslinger, Ozark, AL.
Jeb, are you planing to go to the Invasion? We have 4 of us that will be caravaning from the Atlanta area and would like for you to join us on the trip up and back. Great back roads, cool mountain air, small towns and great company.
Cheers,
Alpine Bob
Yes Atlanta heat. Headed out to see my mom & dad last Friday afternoon – maybe 95F. Coming up I-85 from downtown was fine. When I turned onto the 285 everything came to a stop – then moved at around 15 mph then stopped – over and over again until I reached Stn Mtn Freeway. I didn’t even wait for the thermostat to move I just hit the switch and turned on the electric fan (in front of the 3 core radiator). I was roasting even w/ the top up for shade but the engine temp held fine. Electric fans are great! I wish the clip on dash fan worked as well. Who is it in Alabama that has AC in an Alpine?

atallamcs

Donation Time
fans

On my race car, I do not run an engine fan but two pushers in front of an aluminum radiator. Also, the horn holes have been closed off and metal work was done to direct all the air flow to the radiator. It is the combination of airflow and the correct fans that will keep the alpine/tiger cool. I should have cut the lower radiatior cross brace out or minimized it to improve air flow. Here is a picture of the fans.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2758402810078015567TeGybJ

I also have side vents in this car to help exit trapped hot air--will know the results of all this work shortly as the car is about ready for its first run.
Bill

Nickodell

Donation Time
What type of problems could we encounter with an electric fan??

Many people, including me, miswired the fan so that instead of pushing air from the grille through the radiator, it tries to pull it in the opposite direction from the engine compartment. Then you have the curious experience that the cooling system works fine when the car is stationary or moving slowly, but overheats when you are moving fast - the exact opposite of the usual - as the poor fan tries to pull air forward but is defeated by the ram air coming through the grille. Check that the air is going the right way: If it isn't, simply reverse the wires.

The second thing you should do is include a thermostatic switch, set to turn the fan on at about 85 deg. C (190 C), so that you won't have to constantly monitor the temp. gauge, and an override switch on the dash in case the t'stat fails, as mine did. Be sure to wire the override sw. in parallel with the t'stat, not series, so that it works independently.

bbonner

Donation Time
So far so good. We did not think about the thermostat switch but that is a good idea. It seemed to cool my engine down a lot of course I think I feel the heat more in the car but that is better the overheating her. Thanks Bev