• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Electric Power Steering (EPS) for your Alpine

65beam

Donation Time
Dan,
I first saw mention of the Sunbeam EPS units on the CAT forum quite some time ago. It would be a big help with the wheels/tires used on some Tigers. What car used the units you have?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
A lot of cars are equipped with EPS.

It is more than a lot; it is essentially all cars with power steering. I have been supplying reinforcements and hoses for hydraulic power steering since the mid-'80's and that business for cars is dead and buried. IIRC, the only 2017 model cars with hydraulic PS were a couple of Aston Martins and a Lotus of some kind. Some light trucks / SUV's are still HPS, but even that is changing quickly. The assumption 5 years ago was that the heavy truck / bus segment would stay with HPS, but that is also changing because EPS is much more efficient and easier to integrate into a new vehicle design.

Even the hot rod world is going to EPS.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bob, My units are mainly the Saturn Ion and Vue. I made a deal with Ken to furnish the basic components. GOTO: http://epowersteering.com/

I had much work to do in order to make the telescoping function work on the Sunbeam Alpine.

As Barry noted most cars are either going with EPS or already have:)

I was sold on it a few years ago when a friend of mine introduced me to his new toy in a '47 Plymouth powered by a huge Chevy engine and big wide tires.

My first thought when I played with it was at the time a current very active member driving Matilda his favorite car. Remember Nick O'Dell ? He was having much trouble steering and shifting Matilda on drives he liked to enjoy.

I work feverishly trying to develop a EPS for the Alpine so that He could continue enjoying Matilda. My plan was to offer it to him free of charge and install as a favor to a grand olde man:) Sure miss him.

Anyway, He sold Matilda before I could get satisfied with the end result.

Design work was for the Series IV & V primarily. At least that is what took most of my time and efforts. Still learning a few things as always.

My Blue Boy V6 handles nicely with the EPS. There are no hyd pumps; lines; pulleys; belts; squeals; drips or pours of fluids with the EPS....and no lost power and drag on the engine")

Many thanks to Mr Bill (Blue) for his added expertise and advise.

65beam

Donation Time
Bob, My units are mainly the Saturn Ion and Vue. I made a deal with Ken to furnish the basic components. GOTO: http://epowersteering.com/

I had much work to do in order to make the telescoping function work on the Sunbeam Alpine.

As Barry noted most cars are either going with EPS or already have:)

I was sold on it a few years ago when a friend of mine introduced me to his new toy in a '47 Plymouth powered by a huge Chevy engine and big wide tires.

My first thought when I played with it was at the time a current very active member driving Matilda his favorite car. Remember Nick O'Dell ? He was having much trouble steering and shifting Matilda on drives he liked to enjoy.

I work feverishly trying to develop a EPS for the Alpine so that He could continue enjoying Matilda. My plan was to offer it to him free of charge and install as a favor to a grand olde man:) Sure miss him.

Anyway, He sold Matilda before I could get satisfied with the end result.

Design work was for the Series IV & V primarily. At least that is what took most of my time and efforts. Still learning a few things as always.

My Blue Boy V6 handles nicely with the EPS. There are no hyd pumps; lines; pulleys; belts; squeals; drips or pours of fluids with the EPS....and no lost power and drag on the engine")

Many thanks to Mr Bill (Blue) for his added expertise and advise.
Dan,
Have you heard what unit is used in the U.K.? Speaking of Nick, have you heard anything from him?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Nickodell was last on back some time this Summer. Sure miss his wit!

The ep units I believe some Tigers are using in the UK are not available here.

I do have some data and PIC's on file for the Tiger. If interest let me know,