• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Electric Jaguar

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
What's the point of owning a Jag, if it doesn't sound like a Jag?!

Besides their good looks, it's the sound of that engine that get's you.

alpine_64

Donation Time
You got to pray and electric jag is not powered by Lucas.... But maybe that's what gives it the authentic feel ... Breaking down with electrical issues.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
This may be the car Prince Harry drove away in after his wedding, or one like it. I remember some commentary about the cost of building the car but can't remember the details but it was large.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Jaguar had started a couple years ago manufacturing replacement series 1 panels so they already have what is needed for new complete shells. My guess is making all the other bits to original specs along with the batteries, motor and transmission, along with the optional touch screen interior will be the big drivers since those won't cross over to the restoration market as readily. I'm guessing the overall price will be well into the 6 figure range for a full new car. I can't see much market for converting original series 1 cars considering the current prices of nice cars.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Weren't they doing 'restorations based on an original firewall' a while back? As in, everything new except the VIN plate/firewall? Seems there was a Jalopnik article about that...

mikephillips

Donation Time
That has happened in some cases and has been a topic of conversation for many marks. And I gather it is becoming a concern in the warbird community where restorations have been done from crashed or otherwise destroyed aircraft that contain little more than data plates while the main airframe and wings are new. New shells for Jags, some MGs, Minis, Triumphs and some others have been offered by British Heritage for some time, are those restorations or replicas?? The line is indeed getting blurry.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
There isn't any blur. Yes, there are those that would like a look-the-other-way approach in order to claim they have an original and the product is worth as much as the rare original. However, "factory original" is just that. When baseball card companies or artwork manufactures make a run of classic cards or artistic prints respectively they don't claim them to be original. The baseball card or art world enthusiasts don't come forward with the same economic offers matching an original's value. All replicas, tribute, and re-bodied automobiles, planes or other products have significant labor, materials and time put into there production. Yes, they warrant the usual scrutiny as to how close the final example came to the "original." Yes, these remakes can bring the same muse to the viewer's perception. And yes, with modernization, the replica may enhance comfort and reliability. However, these remake examples are not "factory original" nor should they provide a grey area for scoundrels to venture. Let us continue to entertain proper classifications and enjoy all with the appropriate identification.

Last edited: