• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

EFI with sidedrafttbi.com?

rootesrefuge

Donation Time
Unfortunately, I don't have access to a 'scope yet. Depending on how I make out after I redo all the grounds I may have to start looking around for somebody who does.

I was going for simplicity when I started out, so was planning on Megasquirt controlling the fuel only. But, it's capable of controlling spark as well. In theory the Pertronix could trigger the MS, then MS can control the firing of the coil. I'd just need to lock out the advance mechanisms, since MS will control the advance. That might be the way to go, and it'll still look pretty much stock.

Jon,
It may be time to hook up an oscilloscope to some points in your system to see what you're up against. I'm pretty sure that signal conditioning can tame whatever is on the inputs or power feeds, but you'll need to know the specifics. Do you have a scope, or know of an electronics hobbiest with a spare afternoon?

Ken

RootesRacer

Donation Time
But, it's capable of controlling spark as well. In theory the Pertronix could trigger the MS, then MS can control the firing of the coil. I'd just need to lock out the advance mechanisms, since MS will control the advance.

Locking it is unnecessary, just use the pertronix to trigger the MS and run the mechanical/vacuum advance built into the dizzy. Then as you become more advanced, give the this a few extra degrees of timing, then let the MS "tweak/retard" your timing to dial in what works best. Keep in mind MS can ONLY retard timing, so you have to set the max trigger angle at or above the highest timing advance (IE 32 to 35 degrees BTDC). Locking out the distributor (to 35 BTDC) will only make your timing less accurate and give more timing scatter when the timing is less advanced (IE 6 to 8 degrees BTDC)

HTH

rootesrefuge

Donation Time
Wouldn't mind the trip to Denver, but time and expense are a bit of a problem! lol Last time I was out there was when I bought my '58 Minx convertible.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for an MG electronic distributor, though. Using the stock hall sender might be preferable to using the Pertonix.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I'll have to keep my eyes open for an MG electronic distributor, though. Using the stock hall sender might be preferable to using the Pertonix.

The MG electronic dizzy doesnt use a hall sensor, it uses a VR sensor, so you would have to configure your board to use the VR amplifier.

The pertronix IS a hall sensor with integrated dwell control and drive transistor.

The bad thing about pertronix is since it uses magnets in the rotor ring, their placement contributes a great deal to cyl/cyl timing accuracy.
A VR sensor setup is far more accurate since it relies on the machining of the armature rotor, and is a single source of error instead of having 4 independent sources of error (the magnets).

rootesrefuge

Donation Time
Since I'm running MS-1 on a V3.0 board, I'll have to upgrade either the processor or the firmware to do the spark control. If I have to play with the board, I might just as well go with the more accurate timing option. I know the old MG units were famous for blowing modules, so finding a used one with a bad module but good VR sensor shouldn't be difficult. I have all the components in place to use the VR input if I go that way. Time to do some research I guess!!

The MG electronic dizzy doesnt use a hall sensor, it uses a VR sensor, so you would have to configure your board to use the VR amplifier.